3.5 V8 mate to LT77 from 90 TD

Davewillb

Hi,

I've accumulated a lot of the bits and pieces on the cheap to build what I'm calling a Disco / 90 camper and its on the tightest budget so I need to use what I've got laying about, it probably won't be very pretty and will definately upset purists as it will have a combo of series, Disco and 90 bits. As per the title I've got a good v8 from a manual Rangie and a good gearbox from a 90 TD - what do I need in the way of a bell housing to join these two with a gear stick in a conventional position?

Before anyone says SVS or similar I am factoring that.

Thanks,

Dave

It depends on what chassis and mounting brackets you are going to use.

If you are using a TD gearbox, it will have a short input shaft which will require an adaptor plate to mate the gearbox to the engine. The spigot bearing will also have to be specially made................

I have a more suitable gearbox from a V8 Disco/RR, but you would need the v8 bellhousing and would have to change the remote assy.

But it all depends on what you are doing................need more detail

If you've got a REALLY tight budget, I'd have thought an IVA would be the last thing you want to consider, at potentially £450...

....it is the last thing, I'm thinking of the relatively recent article John Carroll did for .. I think it was LRO... using a Disco chassis, I'm also looking at the regs for camper conversions with interest.

It depends on what chassis and mounting brackets you are going to use.

If you are using a TD gearbox, it will have a short input shaft which will require an adaptor plate to mate the gearbox to the engine. The spigot bearing will also have to be specially made................

I have a more suitable gearbox from a V8 Disco/RR, but you would need the v8 bellhousing and would have to change the remote assy.

But it all depends on what you are doing................need more detail

The chassis would be from a V8 (auto) Disco circa 1994, so I'd be better of with a Disco manual gearbox and V8 bellhousing then as I don't like the sound of specially made spigot bearings? - could I use the remote assembly from the 90TD LT77 gearbox to get the gearsticks somewhere sensible? or is this where its starts getting expensive because I really need a bellhousing from a 101?

Cheers,

Dave

LRO have a habit of glossing over IVA/SVA and associated issues and have in the past given completely wrong advice, e.g. On a bobtail 'I haven't changed the wheelbase so it didn't need testing.' Wrong....

There are a few on here that know about IVA/SVA and how to avoid it legally, so do ask away if you want to know.

Can someone move this to the "Special projects" section before all the IVA/SVA bullsh*t smothers another build thread? Let's just leave legality as a paperwork exercise for the owner.

I wasn't sure which section to ask the original question in - its not model specific and as per the topic title isn't supposed to be IVA etc. I'm very happy for it to be moved.

Dave

No that's fair enough, I was coming from the POV that £450 is a lot to spend when you have a shoestring budget, and it should be avoidable depending on what Dave wants to do... and better to know up front rather than when you have spent 100+ hours and then have your hand forced by the amount of work you have already done!

Can someone move this to the "Special projects" section before all the IVA/SVA bullsh*t smothers another build thread? Let's just leave legality as a paperwork exercise for the owner.

No. in special projects, nobody mentions the The you-know-what test and lives to tell the tale.

Anyway, before you think we are a buch of grumpy rivet counters: welcome the the madhouse, we want a dedicated build thread with photos.

Daan

I'll do my best guys - I tried with my 90 rebuild but keeping the thread updated sort of got away from me after I got started so there is stuff from the start and then a big gap and some pictures from the end with just a few specific bits in the middle.

Had seen that one, didn't realize it was you. Very tidy build you did there. I think people have used a v8 mating plate for a v8 to series box in this application. I seem to remember that you have to cut the crankshaft flange using a grinder to create clearance for the clutch mechanism but otherwise it is pretty straightforward.

Daan

You need a V8 Disco/RR classic LT77 box, but you would have to change the remote to a Defender type, which entails stripping the selctor shaft out of the TD box. Dont bother with adaptors IMO

I have got a gearbox less bellhousing and transfer box here you can have if you want to collect it.

You need a V8 Disco/RR classic LT77 box, but you would have to change the remote to a Defender type, which entails stripping the selctor shaft out of the TD box. Dont bother with adaptors IMO

I have got a gearbox less bellhousing and transfer box here you can have if you want to collect it.

That's a generous offer - thanks, where abouts are you, I'm in central Norfolk.

Dave

Had seen that one, didn't realize it was you. Very tidy build you did there. I think people have used a v8 mating plate for a v8 to series box in this application. I seem to remember that you have to cut the crankshaft flange using a grinder to create clearance for the clutch mechanism but otherwise it is pretty straightforward.

Daan

Thanks for this - useful to know the various options.

I am on the Moon. Dark side.

North Kent, 25 minutes from Dartford crossing

OK, that's a bit of a long haul for me I'm afraid which is a shame - I'm not convinced my old Disco would make it there and back again at the moment.

Dave