Inside of front tyres bald - tracking off or something else?

FridgeFreezer

For quite some time I've put up with clonks from the front suspension, which I've now sorted with new front arms & mounts (so all new bushes & ball joints). Obviously these affect the tracking, which I'm sure is out anyway.

The front tyres have worn massively on the inside of the tread, and I'm assuming this can only be tracking as I can see no reference in the RAVE manuals, or method, of adjusting caster or camber on the front suspension.

However, googling around at tyre wear symptoms, it's commonly wrote that shoulder wear on tyres is symptomatic of incorrect camber, rather than toe. Of course, that's written on the internet so you can't be 100% sure of accuracy ;)

What I want to avoid is buying new tyres, getting the tracking done, and then 5k down the road finding the new tyres have gone the same way and there's something else I should have done.

Is there anything else on the front suspension of a freelander that can wear out and cause this tyre wear?

It's a 2001 TD4 5-door.

if you have replaced the arms/joints/bushes, then the only other thing I can think of is the strut mount, if knackered it could mean the resting position of the suspension is slightly negatively cambered. I would think it unlikely to be THAT bad, but worth a check if you find you still have clunks.

I assume you have you checked the track rod ends being that close to it all recently...

Checked your VCU? ;)

A good alignment place ought to be able to tell you your camber figures.

TRE's were both replaced in the last year or so (with genuine) so I'm fairly happy they're not to blame. Strut mount could be a suspect, there are still noises but a lot less than there used to be!

VCU was recon from Bell Autos when I got the car, so it's ~3 years / ~70k old and I'm pretty happy it's not gone tight yet.

FL1's arent prone to abnormal front tyre wear,if you have sorted the front lower arms and have good TRE's,with correct tracking you have nothing to worry about.Just keep enjoying it.

FL1's are now starting to be accepted by LR independants as better value and going into old age alot better than they were previously given credit for.Unlike P38 RRS....

TBH I'd be inclined to seek out and engage an independent tyre-place that offers a full 4-point wheel alignment.

You coud have who-knows-what historic worn-out/bent steering/suspension components.

£50 invented here is likely to save you a few hundred ££ of 'odd' tyre-wear issues. Equally, a vehicie whose wheels are not doing what the original designer intended will be an unsatisfactorily-handling and frustrating mess.

tyre shoulder wear can be caused by tracking too,

too much toe in and you loose the outside shoulder of the tread and too much toe out and you loose the inside shoulder.

either that or its the other way around :rolleyes: i can never remember

A brief investigation in the pub car-park last night located the remaining front clonk - it's the strut upper bearing binding slightly.

AllyV8 - you're right there, I'm a total FL convert, I reckon they're the best all-rounder LR's made since the original 200TDi Disco (I don't like 'em but everyone else seems to).

A brief investigation in the pub car-park last night located the remaining front clonk - it's the strut upper bearing binding slightly.

AllyV8 - you're right there, I'm a total FL convert, I reckon they're the best all-rounder LR's made since the original 200TDi Disco (I don't like 'em but everyone else seems to).

The trouble is they were,(Are if not rusted out...)VERY effective at their job.5 or an ocassional 7 seats that would go just about anywhere,with good fuel consumption,3.5 tonne towing capacity and simple,reliable,(If looked after) mechanics.I spent a long time ignoring them and then had 11 years of hard work from a 300TDI auto,which broke down once with a failed Bosch starter....

Look at the pikey carp they make now,even the Defender is rubbish,year on year winding build quality further down.The FL1 has its problems,but in general they are now fairly easy to diagnose and not too silly to repair.Compare a D3/RR Sport and you begin to appreciate how good they are.Cant imagine too many 15 year old D3's around.

i as under the impression that the FL1 at least wasnt rated to tow 3.5T,

i could be wrong.

Sorry if I didnt make it clear - I was talking about Discovery TDI's having a 3.5 tonne towing capacity,not FL's which should only have bicycle racks fitted to their towbars...