I went to Newbery and all I got was, er...a winch

UdderlyOffroad

Evening all. Hoping somebody here can help. Whilst perusing the stands at Newbery the other day I found this for suitably low amount, so I failed to resist the temptation and bought it, for £60. Apologies for the terrible photo

10211296335_668b67fa23.jpg
Winch! by udderlyoffroad, on Flickr

The p/n sticker on it says RTC9587AB. This appears to be a SuperWinch Husky X6, however googling for that appears to show a winch which looks nothing like mine. Any ideas what it actually is? And does anyone have a link to a manual/parts diagram?

I touched the two wires onto a battery, and it appeared to work, and even the freespool lever appears to do its thing, so that's a start anyway! I assume the winch can be made to 'pay out' by dint of reversing the polarity via a solenoid?

Matt

P.S. in case anyone's wondering just why I bought a winch when I'm still at the 'rolling chassis' stage of my build, well, I'm a weak-willed creature, and also, I need to send a load of stuff for galvanising, so I might as well fettle my £15 winch bumper to fit and set that off too! :stirthepot:

Thanks for the responses all. So, it appears that there might be a reason it was cheap? No matter, for £60 it will make a good trailer winch! Or, rather than mount it on the trailer, I might mount it onto a Dixon-Bate slider plate for use at the back of the truck. There's already an Anderson connector there, after all.

I took the plastic cover off today, and the motor did appear to be quite puny compared to the size of everything else. No sign of an ID plate or model number though, just a serial number. That said, googling 'Superwinch X6' has turned up broadly similar units.