Sided Springs

Anderzander

I'm a bit confused about sided springs....

I've just bought two pairs of NRC8044/5 springs:

The 44's are shorter and variously listed as for drivers/os/rh. The 45's the opposite. This is both as 110 fronts and disco rears.

So my plan had been to simply fit them accordingly.

A bit of further reading seems to list 44's (or 45's) fitted as a matched pair to the front of td5 onward 110's.

This made me look at the spring set up for my td5 90: NRC9446/7, where strangely the drivers side is the longer one. As it is for HD 110's: NRC9448/9.

So why the difference ?

looking under my td5 90 the engine sits slightly more to the passenger side. So a longer spring on that side would seem to make sense - but its fitted to the drivers side and actually leans down on the left.

On earlier vehicles the tank under the driver would be a factor - but I'm not sure the spring fittment seems to reflect the model changes?

So what to do ?

Do I fit the springs as matched pairs - the two longer 45's at the front and two 44's at the rear (based on the greater front weight bias).

Or go with the 'standard' fitting and have the longer 45's on the passenger side.

I'm hoping their might be a rationale that I'm missing so I can get it right without the trial and error of trying all the different combinations.

Any help or thoughts very gratefully received.

They are colour coded and as per the spring list here :

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

On there all of the longer springs seem to be ascribed to the drivers side - except NRC8044/5, which aren't detailed..... However when I've searched the part numbers they are universally described as NRC 8044 Yellow/Yellow - shorter and Drivers OS / RH

On my lap as I type this is my old genuine factory workshop manual for 90 and 110 (pre Defender) printed in 1988

And it lists............

NRC8044 double white stripe 384.3mm Drivers 110 basic specification Front

NRC8045 double yellow stripe 368.1mm Passengers 110 basic specification Front

NO mention of right or left hand, so deduce from that what you will....................

There may be more up to date info somewhere, but there seems to be some discrepancy somewhere ?

Ooo - that's helpful.

Whilst I google that some more - I'm also thinking I might take my 90 to the weigh-bridge to see what the left / right weight split is.

I presume then it's the lt230, steering column and box, diffs and props that put put the weight on the drivers side ?

Though half the props and the diffs aren't sprung so a bit of a red herring...

So much info and variation :

LHD 110 2 seat utility, 5 seat station wagon and 5 seat crew cab (3050 Kg)

Front - Driver's side NRC 8044 White/white

Front - Passenger side NRC 8045 Yellow/yellow

Rear - Both sides RKB101111 Purple/brown

RHD 110 2 seat utility, 5 seat station wagon and 5 seat crew cab (3050 Kg)

Front - Both sides NRC 8045 Yellow/yellow

Rear - Both sides RKB101111 Purple/brown

LHD 110 7 seat station wagon (3050 Kg)

Front - Driver's side NRC 8044 White/white

Front - Passenger side NRC 8045 Yellow/yellow

Rear - Both sides RKB500300 White/green/green

RHD 110 7 seat station wagon (3050 Kg)

Front - Both sides NRC 8045 Yellow/yellow

Rear - Both sides RKB500300 White/green/green

Yes, & the front under seat fuel tank when fitted, later vehicles IIRC the spring handing ceased,

go with what you want, for example my 110 rides on OME springs all round, 751 up front to cope with the winch & heavt bumper & 755's on rear, it sits slightly nose down about 1 inch difference front to rear/ but level side to side, the ride is really good.

quite possible, the diffs,transfer box & steering box are all on the drivers side.

Diffs though aren't part of the sprung weight - so won't make a difference.

I would have thought the offset of the engine would more than balance the transfer and steering boxes ?

are the different length springs the same rate? i would assume that the shorter spring is actually harder, and so goes on the heavier side of the car. as you said, the engine is more over to the passenger side, so that's the side that gets the harder springs. the softer springs are longer, so that with less weight on them they end up the same length to give a level car