Turbo oil leak

Diablo

Yes, an amount is, but I've got much more than I have previously with the old engine. Hence this thread.

Anyway, next test is the hose into a catch tank of sorts.

The turbo hose isn't being fixed as it reminds me of the oil leak, and allows me to check what effect any efforts produce.

It isn't normal to empty the sump of oil every month or two!

Not masses - about 1/4 to 1/2 a cupful (not very scientific I know) every couple of months I would guess. Maybe a bit less.

I'm confused. That is not what you said earlier. You need to get the story straight.

In addition, your picture does not look like the leak is from the air hose. Clean it properly and find the leak.

Agreed, if there is oil at the discharge from the turbo the intercooler will have oil slopping in it and will have greatly reduced efficiency, remove it and flush it out, if you use a volitile cleanser make sure you blow all the fumes out before you re-fit it (I use a vacuum cleaner blower)

It looks like you have two problems, one is the engine is not breathing properly, fairly common for most diesels, and the standard plastic cyclonic breather is a shoddy design really and if it was made properly it should be servicable, look arround a wreakers and get one of a Isuzu 3.9 - it can be adapted easily and its a proper unit and the top can be removed to clean it out, secondly your turbo oil seals sound as if they have gone, take it back to your service place and get it pressure tested and if defective rebuilt - hopefully at their cost and not yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to get onto this - have take the hose off and stuck it into a bottle as suggested

This is after a week's commuting (circa 150 miles)

post-14582-0-76921600-1394295042_thumb.jpg

Also took a pic of the seperator: as you can hopefully see, there was oil running out when I took the hose off.

post-14582-0-86338400-1394295052_thumb.jpg

With the oil residue on the bonnet either a leaking turbo hose or breather hose connection, a porous breather hose or a small spilt/pin hole which only opens up during driving as it's under turbo/engine crankcase pressure.

Okay, oil wont run forward while you are moving, it will go with the air flow so look at the point directly under the point on your bonnet where the oil trail started, thats where your leak is, possibly a pin hole in the turbo hose to the intercooler or some such. Secondly you should not have oil running out of the cyclonic oil seperator at the suction port, chances are its past its use by date so replace it, until I redesigned mine I changed it every 10,000 kilometers at the same time I did the engine oil and oil filter service

I'm still fairly sure that the oil is coming out of the join between the turbo output and the first elbow on the pipe work to the intercooler. I just haven't fixed it yet as it gives me a good gauge on how much is coming out.

I have now got the hose form the seperator in a bottle - so I shall give it a week or so of running and see what the oil on the bonnet looks like.

My seperator is a few weeks old - I replaced it as a precautionary measure - see the first page. Not too happy with the oil running out of it though.

Had a quick look at the engine after approx 30 mile run today and there is a dribble of oil in the catch bottle, and a bit on the usual spot on the bonnet.

The rocker cover doesn't look great either though - as well as the leaks from all over the gasket, there was this:

post-14582-0-17472000-1394391164_thumb.jpg

Looks to be peeing out of the oil filler cap too - further leaning towards my theory that the engine is breathing too heavy. Which I don't understand on an engine that's a year old.

try it with a new oil filler cap, the rubber seal isn't availabe as a seperate part.

replaced my intercooler rubber hose elbows with blue silicone ones from Alisport a few years ago, the rubber ones had gone soft/porous.

Quite, but I don't want to replace them and have the new ones caked in oil straight away.

dailysleaze: complete 'new' engine from Turners - hence not too happy with this apparent over-pressure issue. I'm not clued up enough on engines to understand how it would come about on a new engine.

western: would a new lid just cure the symptom rather than the problem? The gasket is peeing out oil too

A little while back and they suggested that slightly incorrect fueling could be the problem, but I don't think they got the jist of how much oil was coming out - and I wanted to rule out the turbo first.

Not sure about exact consumption, have never truly measured it.

It depends on the style of driving I do: eg usual weekday commuting will use what you saw in my recent photos - allowing for an amount to not be squirted out (ie goes through the engine and burnt off) - I would guess 100ml a week - approx 150mls. So1/2 to 3/4 a litre / 1000 miles.

However, if I'm doing a reasonable motorway drive it will dump a lot more, hence the comment regarding the high consumption. that day I had been to birmingham and back - something like 300 miles, and when I checked the dip stick it was on low, whereas I normally keep it between normal and high. As for amounts of oil, not sure.

that's perhaps where the confusion has crept in.

Either way, it's much higher than it should be, in my book.

Okay. 1/2 to 3/4 liters per 1000 miles is not super high. You have to realize it is normal for oil to goes through the crankcase vent. It is normal to have oil in the turbo plumbing. Please fix the turbo leak as that has nothing to do with the oil consumption and you are just making it running incorrectly.

Are you getting air pumping out the breather hose when it is in the bucket? There should be no real amount of net air flow. If there is, you have an engine problem.