Turbo oil leak

Diablo

I understand there is normally an amount - it's just a lot more than my last engine, hence the concern, particularly when doing lots of motorway miles when the consumption seems to jump.

Regarding the air pumping out - I presume you mean at idle? I shall test tonight.

Have just ordered some new hoses, so that's that problem 1/2 fixed.

You say you keep the oil level high.

How high?

It is possible that the dip stick is reading incorrectly? If this is the case you could have too much oil in the crank case.

G.

Regarding the air pumping out - I presume you mean at idle? I shall test tonight.

At any rpm. Rev it up. There is no reason for a flow of air out of the engine unless there is blowby past the rings or a leaking head gasket.

And good point on the oil level. If it is too high, these engines spit it out. How much are you putting in on a change? I would keep it below the normal mark for now. There is no reason to keep the level high.

There is a thread on here somewhere about checking that the dipstick is the right length and reading the correct level.

I'm a little confuzzled as to how incorrect fueling can cause an engine to spit oil out of turbo hoses.....

Right, a quick measurement with a bit of rope gives me about 290mm - will do a more precise measurement at the weekend, but doesn't appear to be drastically out. Out of interest is a new one a 'fit and forget' with regards to setting any height?

Regarding the breather hose, at idle there is are steady, regular puffs of air - at the strength of a light blow onto your hand. Not a continuous blow, but a cyclical one - about 3 puffs every 2 seconds.

With a rev increase this drops away but is still detectable.

If there isn't much pressure from the oil filler cap, then there may be a blockage that causes the pressure to build over time. I believe the only vent from crankcase to atmosphere is into the air inlet via the oil separator?

I found this image of one split open, and shows that there is a valve. Could it be that this isn't opening?

post-18025-0-76505300-1394479256_thumb.jpg

Bought a new seperator (Genuine) a couple of months ago. Pics on page one - no valve as such, just a spring.

And yes, the only intended vent is via the seperator to the air inlet, downstream of the filter. There are unintended vents at the oil filler cap and the rocker gasket though!

There's some interesting reading here about turbo leaks caused by excessive blowby. Basically, excessive crankcase pressure can prevent the oil draining down from the turbo, which then has to find another way out.

On the other hand, this article mentions how turbos can contribute to crankcase pressure

So the turbo could be causing the pressure that causes the other leaks, or the engine (head gasket, valve stems, rings) is causing the pressure which causes the turbo leak.

Regarding the breather hose, at idle there is are steady, regular puffs of air - at the strength of a light blow onto your hand. Not a continuous blow, but a cyclical one - about 3 puffs every 2 seconds.

With a rev increase this drops away but is still detectable.

It will puff in and out. Put your hand over it. Do you get a continuous flow out? It is the net flow that is the concern.

Right so almost a week later and the results so far:

bonnet:

post-14582-0-55853100-1394907083_thumb.jpg

A very slight misting, which I imagine is residual.

The catch tank has a bit of oil in - but not as much as I thought that there might have been.

Have just put a set of silicon hoses on in place of the rubber intercooler ones (which were very squidgy), so we shall we what happens next

Will probably leave the catch tank in situ for another week or so.

Engine venting is a trully vexing problem, remember as two pistons are decending and causing a compression in the sump the other two pistons and rising up causing a vacuum to compensate so, under normal conditions the effect at the oil filler cap should only be a slight "puff puff" .

That said this does not take into consideration piston ring blow by and some by-pass can be the result of worn valve guides and this is unlikely to be physically evident when the engine is idling, if it is then the engine had seen its use by date well and trully past, and as this is a newish unit I think we have to assume that is unlikely but I would have a compression test carried out, not expensive and will put a whole load of demons to rest, but dont go back to the engine supplier, get a "second opinion" from another garage.

The other thing thats curious is why is the vent inside the intake to the turbo off the cyclone breather hose facing into the air direction ???

One other thing, with silicon hoses I've found them very prone to slipping off as they are more slippery than the standard rubber hoses, even with high pressure clamps. to counter this problem I put a dab of Rolls Royce gasket goo over the spigot(s) before slipping the silicon hose on, since I adopted this problem I've not had any blow off.

• 1 year later...