Making a lead sandwich....

reb78

What would i have to do to make my own soundproofing mats for the engine. Does anyone know how the products such as the noiskiller engine blankets are contstructed? I have heard a few people say you would be able to make your own relatively cheaply compared to the products you could buy, but knowing how they are constructed would be a good start! Any ideas??

Thanks Jim. They are more or less the same price as noisekiller and less well finished.

http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/acoustic_blankets_products.asp

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/sound-insulation

If it's not possible to do it cheaper then I might buy one, but I reckon an engine blanket slotted down between the engine and bulkhead, and a bell housing blanket might cut down on the droney noise a fair bit.

Maybe, but I've had some success with the old bitumen stuff they say to forget in their blurb! I've used the fake lead flashing stuff you can buy from DIY stores under the bonnet and it is quieter at tick over and slow speeds, but doesn't make a great difference on the move.

Back in the early nineties I bought one of these blankets, along with some other stuff from Warwick Banks Handling, who did a roaring trade in Anti roll bars before Land Rover decided to fit them as standard...............

It was for my nearly new 200TDI Defender

I was not impressed, and I would say dont waste your money. The difference it makes is very small.

I think the only real way that you can suppress noise is total surface coverage (as near as practical)

Something like Dynamat maybe ?

Or do away with the problem altogther, and fit a nice petrol engine !

I used a product called R.A.T mat in my 109. It's exactly the same as dynamat at a fraction of the price. 40sqft for $250NZD, which was only just short of doing the roof completely. I bought 2 kits and that did the rear bulkhead, drivers/passengers floor, all 3 doors and rear tub.

It wouldn't be overly difficult to recreate it. You could buy a huge tub of CRC brush on underseal which is essentially bitumen (like treacle!). thin it, then super heat till It goes runny and pour it into a mould which is the same shape as the object You wanted to put it on. You would probably need to spray glue it on but it could be a go..? Just letting my creative mind loose :D

I need to get out more!

Dynamat doesn't really block sound though, it stops panel rattle so may not make a huge amount of difference...

These guys: http://www.carinsulation.co.uk/page/vehicle_soundproofing_faq

seem pretty reasonable for no name / unbranded supplies including loads specific for the engine bay... I was thinking of buying one of their kits for my day to day car to cut out road noise...

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update - I bought some mass loaded vinyl, insulating felt and waterproof insulation from the link I posted for my family car (subaru forester) as it suffered badly from road noise. I did the wheelarches inside, under the carpets, in all the door cavities etc and it's made a big difference both to the road noise and the solidity of the panels :)