200 tdi from storage

Anderzander

I have a 200 tdi that I'll be putting in my series shortly* - it's a Turner engine that had done 10k miles since being bought from them before it came to me ..... I've had it in storage for 4 years and I'm wondering wether to just put it in or start replacing seals etc before I do .... ?

It's not a big job to pull it in and out of the series so I'm tempted to just get it in, but I have a feeling that the voice of reason (that's you folks) will be saying not to ?

* figuratively speaking

Definitively do the rear crank oil seal, you will kick yourself if you don't and it starts leaking in a few weeks.

I'd also be tempted to strip off the front of the engine too, and do the front end oil seals (cam, crank etc.) and the timing belt. Rubber goes off, especially when exposed to oil residues etc. I wouldn't trust it as far as you could throw it...

Part of my job is to fix ships propeller seals, if anything is over 2yrs old then it gets binned automatically as you can't trust the rubber. Maybe a little conservative for our applications but highlights the fact that rubber products do have a limited lifespan...

Thanks everyone for the other suggestions. What I'm cautious of is that I already have an awful lot to do to get the series back on the road and I don't want to keep adding more and more to my list of jobs.....

One thing about the 80 is that it's the original Meccano model and a lot of jobs are easier on it because they are so simple to tear down.

Daan - thank you for the link and sharing your experience, I hadn't seen it. In fact I'd just built an online order with the ERR2532G seal in it.

How is the rubber all makes one doing ?

OK-ish. in that it is not 100% dry underneath the bellhouse, but there is no oil coming from the wading plug hole. I always aim for a 100% leakfree landrover, but never managed.

Daan