3.5 v8 ignition system parts?

A friend of mine has a 1984 110 v8, 3.5 on carbs, very original. It was fitted with a lumenition kit by the previous owner which has recently died. Can somebody give us a rundown of the new part required to take it back to standard? presumably points, but what else? i'm not too familiar with these systems as you can probably tell!

Thanks, Matt

An 84 could have had either points or the electronic DM8 distributor. Please dont refit points as you will be making a rod for your own back.

If it WAS a points type, all you will need is the correct set of points (two types) and condenser, but you really would be better off with an electronic conversion for about £30.

If it is a DM8, it would have had the distibutor internals removed, but you will not be able to buy these cheaply, so will probably have to buy a used distributor complete.................but it might not work !

Also, there would have been an ignition amplifier mounted under the coil, and the wiring for it may have been cut off when the Lumenition was fitted.

Also, depending of what was originally fitted, there might have been a ballast resistor, or not, and also you will need the correct coil.

This sounds complicated, but it isnt really................

How can I tell if it had DM8? I don't want to refit points but its a matter of time and budget to be honest, and it would most likely be a short term measure anyway as the plan is to fit an efi eventually.

Are there any parts books showing the various set ups that were fitted around this age so i could pick a system and order up a list of parts?

thanks, Matt

Fit a 35DLM8 from simonbbc with matching DLB198 coil. It will come with a 3 pin terminal on it but you only need 2 (I can find which 2 if I look at my 101!) and you don't need the converter lead they sell.

It's not worth putting the original dizzy back to points at will probably be badly worn anyway, you could have used the drive gear off mine as a router bit as the teeth were worn so sharp!

Fit a 35DLM8 from simonbbc with matching DLB198 coil. It will come with a 3 pin terminal on it but you only need 2 (I can find which 2 if I look at my 101!) and you don't need the converter lead they sell.

It's not worth putting the original dizzy back to points at will probably be badly worn anyway, you could have used the drive gear off mine as a router bit as the teeth were worn so sharp!

I agree with this wholeheartedly. It will solve all your problems if you can stretch to it, and will be fully compatable with your EFI setup in the future...............unless you are going megasquirt which does not need a distributor at all................not a working one at least.

Plenty to mull over there, it seems there is a few options, now i've just got to see what the budget will allow for.

101 sean, could you have a look at the pins you used on the 101 at some point please? no need to rush as I'm not in any sort of hurry to spend christmas under the bonnet!

Thanks all