is one enough?

Nigelw

About to begin the renewing of the relay system for the headlights on my 200Tdi.

I have been toying with two each side but wonder if in reality one for dipped and one for main to do both sides is enough? Relays are 30A rated but wonder if that is enough???

Still looking to do a fit and forget system as I don't want to keep going back but also want to keep it all neat and tidy too and just 2 relays on a nice bracket mounted on the inner wing near the battery tray would look better than two each side I think?

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

unless the relay fails then you have no light on either side which is quite frightening trust me.

mike

In which case, just flick the stalk to the other beam setting! If it means using high beam to allow you a few seconds to pull over safely, then briefly dazzling other drivers isn't much of a hardship and will do no-one any harm. Unless you are going to double-up all the wiring and switches, you will always have a vulnerability in the system - the worst is the main light switch; if that fails you lose all head lights, regardless of how many relays you fit.

Went with two each side, just to be safe :)

Rusty050114010_zps16f51f1a.jpg

Rusty050114012_zps6bfb2123.jpg

Nice little brackets, one off the back of the header tank bracket and the other on the inner wing on the drivers side.

Even went as far as to upgrade a little by using the wires from the 300 from the lamp connector to the relay as they are thicker so should handle the current better, even made a new earth solely for the head lamps to give best connection too.

opaque plastic is 200 and black connector is from the 300 :)

Rusty050114014_zps4a721f73.jpg

A friend in Norway did his differently again and used one way diodes on the switch side and kept the whole circuit complete, that way the new power doesn't feed back and also so if there was a relay failure then there would still be light output but probably lower, I just want to know that there has been a relay failure and fit a new one and be done with it, easier to spot when it just goes dark on one side :lol: