My 1978 Series 3 SWB Diesel - Restoration Project

john_pitt

Hello!

My name's João Pitéu, I'm 27 years old, I live in Évora (Portugal) and I'm a Junior Mechanical Engineer.
I started to restore my Series 3 in January 2011 when I had only 24 years old and finished November last year. So, I would like to share with you my great and crazy adventure - the restore of my 1978 Land Rover Series 3. I hope you enjoy it!

Regards!

qer9.jpg

x8aq.jpg

fl6a.jpg

8k0c.jpg

rl79.jpg

c3tu.jpg

0gwe.jpg

wh3s.jpg

ls0z.jpg

vff6.jpg

czr9.jpg

8g5w.jpg

2d19.jpg

fnc0.jpg

Hi guys! The next pictures show my first days of work. Basically I removed all parts of the Series. On this stage the most hard task was remove the steering relay and remove all chassis bush. How you can see on the picture, the steering relay seem to be "welded" but with a little bit brake fluid and putting it inside of the hole and wait about 1 hour, the steering relay was removed! The chassis was blasting with sand and protected with zinc.

s7vs.jpg

d2la.jpg

p54n.jpg

f7hj.jpg

6s2u.jpg

hnwb.jpg

6sva.jpg

jw4j.jpg

vrip.jpg

bwk7.jpg

g1fj.jpg

w14z.jpg

q20n.jpg

ilbx.jpg

9btu.jpg

1ncc.jpg

9sjz.jpg

o4se.jpg

swnc.jpg

ys2h.jpg

scjd.jpg

p6pr.jpg

yggu.jpg

71qx.jpg

hv2l.jpg

mjg9.jpg

zti6.jpg

That's just stunning.

Is that hot zinc spraying you're doing in the photo of the chassis outside? I've never seen it done before. And could you tell me where you got the foot well mats, please?

Snagger,

That looks to be a mobile shot blasting process to me,

Mikey

Thanks Daan!

Wow just wow! That is one thorough restoration! I must say I didn't know about that trick with brake fluid, I've built a special puller for the job. I notice its sporting a nice 5 main bearing 2,25 as well :)

More pics please! :i-m_so_happy:

Soren, the brake fluid is a great help for other jobs, believe me! :)

That's just stunning.

Is that hot zinc spraying you're doing in the photo of the chassis outside? I've never seen it done before. And could you tell me where you got the foot well mats, please?

Snagger, this is metalization flame spray process or metallization spray zinc. I decided not to do hot dip galvanizing process because sometimes the chassis may twist since the temperature of the zinc is 450°C. However, the hot dip galvanizing process allows to protect chassis interior but is much more expensive.

Metallization spray process:

I got these rubber mats in PaddockSpars - http://www.paddockspares.com/pm617-autograph-range-rubber-mats-front-pair.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hy guys! As you can see I in the photos below I needed to buy two new swivel housing kits because the old ones were very corroded and new is new! All parts were clean with a small silica sand blasting machine. The chassis was paint with black chassis paint. I decided not to paint the engine block once the original color (terrakota) was good looking. At the end you can see the engine/gearbox mounting rubbers. Here I had a question...What's the correct position of the engine/gearbox rubbers? I mounted them as shown in the "Parts Catalogue Land Rover Series III".

el0r.jpg

qjkh.jpg

py1p.JPG

3jez.JPG

nk4m.jpg

14v2.jpg

r7lh.jpg

yu7l.jpg

p1o4.jpg

negy.jpg

qd3a.jpg

lgs1.jpg