Crash test model

HoSS

Is it just me, or does the crash test artifact look suspiciously like it was modeled on the profile of a defender? That evil vehicle which is responsible for global warming, road injury and depletion of fans bank balances. :glare:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-25974754

No I think it's just you Hoss. :unsure: The only advantage a Defender would have over regular cars would be in a pure head on collision, where it's height and both chassis rails would come into the equation. The defender bodywork is structurely quite flimsy, so in what is apparently the more common 'offset' front on collisions, the only components offering any degree of occupant protection would be the front wheel. Let's not even think about side impacts or rollovers.

No I think it's just you Hoss. :unsure: The only advantage a Defender would have over regular cars would be in a pure head on collision, where it's height and both chassis rails would come into the equation. The defender bodywork is structurely quite flimsy, so in what is apparently the more common 'offset' front on collisions, the only components offering any degree of occupant protection would be the front wheel. Let's not even think about side impacts or rollovers.

So the secret is to aim straight at other drivers if you think you are going to crash, none of this half commiting to the task rubbish ;)

Anyone seen the pics of the land rover and Porsche? That shows how bad land rover are

Nope, please do tell!!!

I had some nasty experiences with our Land Rover fleet in Angola. As Bill says, they handle head on or rear on collisions with light vehicles quite well but anything else and they are a disaster. I used to punch a Ballpoint pen through the roof of a crashed Defender when I did the ex-pat driver training and explain a Defender was actually a soft top that just used a metal skin and defended it by explaining it kept the weight lower and less likely to roll over.

A front wheel impact would push the radius arm through the out rigger with surprising ease. Rear wheel impacts bend the trailing arm and both would break the transfer box where it bolts onto the gearbox.

On one occasion, one of our only two Defenders at the time in Columbia was put out of action when a motorbike hit the front wheel and bent the trackrod. The Motorbike cost less to fix than the Land Rover.

From the fleet perspective though, even badly damaged Defenders were still easy to put back on the road. I've had to write off every Land Cruiser in my last fleet that was in a bad accident because the skills just aren't there in developing countries to repair the bodies when they get a proper crease in them. That said though, they take a much bigger knock to put them out of service and are a lot safer for the occupants.

Knowing what rubbish Defender doors are made from, they couldn't support much weight, so i'd guesstimate that the tip over angle of the Defender would be about 2 degrees less than the angle that vehicle is sitting at. And why did the emergency crew leave it sitting like that ?

I really don't understand how the relevant authorities permitted LandRover to make and market a vehicle with such poor secondary safety for all those years! Just because they are classed as commercial vehicles, does that mean that the occupants of commercial vehicles have less rights to live than those travelling in conventional cars? I for one will not mourn the demise of the Defender model.