Salisbury rear axle on a 90

sammyb

Right I apologise in advance an my phone won't let me search...

Right the rear diff on my 96' def 90 and I am weighing up the options of using a Salisbury rear axle. What differences are there over the standard 90 one?

What will I need to change it over?

Sammy

Very strong axles but ask hybrid from bell what there like to work on he won't be complementary. To be honest unless you have a good disc brake Salisbury I wouldn't bother you can pick up a disco rear axle for less money it fits straight on and you get discs regardless.

Mike

Yes the diff nose is longer, so you'll need a TD5 era front prop, if you've got any lift then it really starts giving a steep prop angle - if you've got cranked trailning arms too then its makes it even worse, tell me how I know...

Because of the steeper prop angles any free play in the diff pinion bearing is extenuated so it starts to rattle like hell if not perfect. The axles weigh a ton and are a ball ache to move about. If you will be doing anything like road driving over 50% of the time, i wouldn’t do it, the only benefits I can see of having a rear Salisbury is if you are doing slow hardcore off-roading and want the robustness of the diff...

Don't bother.

You can't really work on that diff yourself. I've done three Salisbury diffs, two on a course, one at work, that was in the 1970's. I swore I'd never do another. There are very few and far people that will work on then.

Then try lifting one up. I would suspect that it's twice the weight of the Rover axle, well not quite.