Do you use your ARB compressor for onboard air ?

Mo Murphy

I do it isn't really up to airing down/pumping up but will suffice to top up the tyres.

yes it does get hot.

Rather than onboard/tanks/compressors etc

I was looking at a mini compressor that you could run off of an inverter.

something similar to these:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p...=2007&g=102

just need to check the current draw and if an inverter can cope

far cheaper if the right one is sourced.

I do it isn't really up to airing down/pumping up but will suffice to top up the tyres.

yes it does get hot.

Rather than onboard/tanks/compressors etc

I was looking at a mini compressor that you could run off of an inverter.

something similar to these:

I gather that cheap invertors are rather poor at running electric motors. You will be paying big money for a suitable invertor. :( SteveG's setup works well for tyre inflation - I was impressed anyway. :)

Chris

Classify this under ingenious:

Warn has grafted an air compressor onto a winch to come up with the PowerPlant Dual Force. It makes so much sense that it's surprising that no one's done it before. Think about it, you've got a 4.6 hp electric motor sitting on your bumper. Why not using for something other than winching? It's not like you'll ever need to pump air and winch at the same time, right? Warn rates the compressor at 5 cfm @ 90 psi, which translates to airing up four 35" tires from 8 psi to 35 psi in 8 minutes. That's pretty good, even when compared to an engine-driven compressor. The only question I have is the duty cycle. How long can you continually run the motor before it has to cool, and cool for how long? I'm sure it'll be fine for airing up one vehicle's tires, but the question is how many sets of tires can it air up before needing a break? You may not care, but your buddies will.

WARN breaks new ground in the off-road world with the PowerPlant Dual Force. It's one space-saving on-board unit. Both a top-end winch, and a high-end air compressor.

Just flip the activator switch to compressor mode and discover the can-do attitude of the PowerPlant. Powered by a 4.6 hp motor, the PowerPlant puts out 5 cfm @ 90 psi, with a built-in air reservoir and intercooler. With the PowerPlant, there's no labor-intensive compressor set up: it's part of our standard winch mounting process.

Switch to winch mode and the PowerPlant turns on the latest in legendary WARN winch technology. You get the raw pulling power of our Gen II Series Wound motor. Plus the proven reliability of the 3-stage planetary gear train and a newly designed contactor that's rugged and reliable. In other words, WARN to the rescue, time after time.

PowerPlant comes complete with these accessories: Nylon air hose, hand-held control with thermometric LED, quick connect couplers, tire gauge and dual air chuck.

The Warn PowerPlant Winch is available in two configurations: 9,500 lb. high performance (HP) for enthusiasts who demand faster line speed, and 12,000 lb. high duty (HD) for longer motor duty cycles.

2006-10-...air%20winch.jpg2006-10-11%20warn%20air%20winch.jpg

While sourcing the last bits for my junkyard "endless" compressor,

it happens that I have a spare 4.6 Warn motor on the shelf...

Could I fit it to a compressor and do a Warn Powerplant cheap replica?

:D

Just joking,I have enough of 1 OBA to build...

<_<

Looking at first link it's 1.5HP with is just over 1KW, so it's going to draw about 4-5 amps at 240V, and ~100 amps at 12V with no loss from inverter which will not be the case., so I would say it could draw up to 150 amps and you would need an inverter rated over 1.2KW.

The cost effective onboard air solution would be a Range Rover air suspension compressor.

Cheers

Steve