First Start..

need4speed

Hopefully im going to be in a position soon where i can turn the key of my new 4.6. Now considering im breaking in a new cam / lifters at the same time i really want it to fire up without too much faffing around...

Would it be more likely to fire up 1st time if i dont introduce things like lambda and pwm, or will that make no difference? Im just thinking of the KISS principle where the less i have connected, the less can go wrong?

Any additional tips on 1st start greatly appreciated.

Wind the accelerator cable in on it's adjustment a bit, that way it will keep the revs up for you while the cam breaks in....

And remember to remove diesel from tank and replace with petrol...

Be ready to kill it in case of a problem, like a water hose goes like it did on mine....

Thanks guys. Just 1 thing Bowie. In case of the dreaded MS "run-on", what would be the quickest, safest way to kill the engine in case of emergency?

I know there is a diode i can solder into place that counters this, but i wasnt going to fit it unless i really needed to?

How much cranking will i be able to do before i start to damage the new cam or lifters? Im just wondering as it seems to be quite common that the VR sensor is connected the wrong way, even if wired to diagram...

Hi Phil

Check and double check

Easiest way for instant engine stop is to pull the coil pack plugs, nice and accessible and Instant death

VR sensor mystery is covered in my build thread we basically got it sussed

If it's wrong you'll know about it, watch the rpm guage on laptop when cranking

As soon as fired and not pissing out oil, get it up to 2k and ideally have a mate set the throttle cable

Then you can easily vary it between 2 and 3k without risking an idle

If it is leaking water keep it running, only stop for oil leaks or anything fairly catastrophic

It should fire pretty much instantly

And of course video the whole thing.