Engine alignment ?

Not noticed before, but as you no doubt aware, the engine/gearbox on a 90/110/Defender is offset from the vehicle centerline to the LHS..............

Was measuring up this evening at noticed that it is also at an angle too............slightly to the diagonal if you see what I mean. As I said, never noticed this before, but is this right ?

If so, I assume its for clearance between the front axle and engine sump. cant see any othe reason

Offset to one side I can understand as that's quite common in order to align it with gearboxes, drive lines etc. but I'd be checking your chassis if I were you if it's at a diagonal as this would indicate that your universal joints were always stresssed and that is never an acceptable design.

Vehicle has no damage, and all mounts and brackets are fine.

Taking the side of the LH chassis as a datum point, and measuring from that to the centre ot the transfer box cover, then measuring from the same side rail to the centre of the crank pulley, the measurement is 33mm LESS at the front..

Maybe some of you guys could nip out and measure yours ? Measurements will not be exactly the same due to production tolerances, but it will give me the idea.

I only measured it because I am considering centering up the engine in the chassis in order to fit my new to me 1UZFE Lexus engine.

Ideally, any Hookes type joint UJ shaft should run straight, but none of them on Land Rovers do this anyway, so its not really an issue. I am surprised though, that they have never used CV joints in the propshafts. This would have solved all articulation problems and caused no vibration either. Also stronger as I understand it. I can only think that it was because they are vunerable and keeping the dirt out would be a problem on an off roader.