defender td5 starting problems

im keep trying to start my defender td5, it cranks but doesnt fire up. iv checked all plugs and there all pluged in. also they sender unit is brand new and working fine. iv checked the ecu for oil and nothing.

is there any common problems you guys can think of that could be causing this?

thanks

Has the engine run OK before? Has the problem come on suddenly or have you had starting-related problems in the recent past? When was the fuel-filter last changed? What mileage has the engine done? It could be you're getting air in the fuel system - try running the fuel-system purge cycle a few times before starting.

If you are getting air in, you may hear the fuel pump screaming and/or gurgling noises.

You - or someone else - haven't put petrol in it by mistake ?

Check the impact-sensor switch [on the bulkhead next to the brake/clutch master-cylinder] - it could have 'popped'.

How old's the battery? Just because the engine turns over doesn't mean the battery's necessarily supplying enough voltage for the injectors to be fired cleanly. I had this problem with a friend's Audi - on cranking there was only 9 volts or so available and this was llow enough for the computer to say 'no'.

Has the engine run OK before? Has the problem come on suddenly or have you had starting-related problems in the recent past? When was the fuel-filter last changed? What mileage has the engine done? It could be you're getting air in the fuel system - try running the fuel-system purge cycle a few times before starting.

If you are getting air in, you may hear the fuel pump screaming and/or gurgling noises.

You - or someone else - haven't put petrol in it by mistake ?

Check the impact-sensor switch [on the bulkhead next to the brake/clutch master-cylinder] - it could have 'popped'.

How old's the battery? Just because the engine turns over doesn't mean the battery's necessarily supplying enough voltage for the injectors to be fired cleanly. I had this problem with a friend's Audi - on cranking there was only 9 volts or so available and this was llow enough for the computer to say 'no'.

iv checked all these. iv been doing some research and one thing iv come across reading is someone having to change the crank sensor due to the vehicle not firing up but does crank? could this be something to look into or is it a myth?

I think if the engine light goes out after you turn the ignition on then its not the engine light.

You need a good battery for prolonged cranking, if the battery voltage is low (~11volts) then the TD5 wont like it and causes havoc with the electrical system like lights not working.

Steve

I think if the engine light goes out after you turn the ignition on then its not the engine light.

You need a good battery for prolonged cranking, if the battery voltage is low (~11volts) then the TD5 wont like it and causes havoc with the electrical system like lights not working.

Steve

Now you mention it. The engine light goes out but as soon as im attempting to turn it over the engine light comes on??

DOn't know if maybe yours, but mine have a little problem Nanocom have helped to detect. MY batt is big enough and is perefectly charged (12.7) every morning. When crancking, it goes down to around 12.3, but the ECU detects 10.5... it doesn't matter how hard you try, engine will not fire until I touch throttle (it makes the voltage go to 12.3 inmediately).... mine is a EU2 and seems another two have similar problem here....

The crank position sensor is the only one that will stop a TD5.but a failing starter will also upset the signal from the sensor. As others have said, battery needs to be good or it won't fire.

Have you tried tow starting it, if it fires instantly then the CPS is OK and the starter or your battery are the problem.

Try removing the CPS and cleaning it, if it's got a bit of swarf on it that will upset the signal.