Workshop equipment testing and safety

discomikey

had the compressor checked over by the man the other day, as usual. and it brought me to think, about my ramp..

businesses have to have their ramps tested, or at least checked over every year if i remember correctly. i know im not a business, but being under that ramp, (and having other poeples sometimes quite expensive vehicles) on it too makes me keen to get it checked out, its about 2 years since i bought it and when i got it it had had new cables, pulleys and pulley pins and a fresh check over.

its all still in great working condition etc i would just have a better piece of mind if it was proffesionally checked over. but i cant seem to find anywhere that does it, i have google searched to death and the only thing that seems to come up is something to do with being a pilot!

any ideas?

cheers

At work our insurance company send in a company twice a year to inspect all lifting and pressure equipment. We've had a few different companies but all seem to trade under engineering inspection. I can look up a few of the previous names if you like. The current ones seem to have to find something every time :/

• 2 weeks later...

What you are after is classed as a LOLER certificate (Lifting operations and equipment regulation) It all depends on the risks involved. For example an engine crane you could say should need one also. Another example is a wheeled excavator crane and a scrap handler, both very similar, but an excavator crane needs to be inspected for loler, but a scrap handler does not because the risk of it dropping something is not of high risk! For some items it is very black and white, others somewhat debatable! A vehicle ramp is something you should have a cert for. As for who can issue a certificate, this is yet another sketchy area. The regulation states something like " the examination should be carried out by a competent person" But who is competent and who is not?

Are you sure it HAS to be lolered on farm? I thought it was just advisory?

Edit: seems it does apply but does not have to be marked unless the item is being used for non agricultural purposes or for purposes other than its original design.

Will.

All lifting equipment on a farm should be LOLER certified, you should have been listing harder at Harper ;)

Are you sure it HAS to be lolered on farm? I thought it was just advisory?

Edit: seems it does apply but does not have to be marked unless the item is being used for non agricultural purposes or for purposes other than its original design.

Will.

it does have to if it is business equipment etc.

as my workshop is personal, and not for the business it doesent HAVE to be LOLER'd IIRC but id rather like it if my ramp was certificated. :)