Door refurb and Mach5s for my '87 Ninety

Morning chaps,

SWMBO told me last weekend to stop lusting after newer Defenders and just get mine sorted out, and spend up to £5k on it.

So as I always do as I'm asked I have a few projects.

A 200tdi Engine and gearbox is already in the pipeline from this very forum which will replace my 19j TD

Now on my wish list is to sort out the wheels and doors

Doors first then

My door bottoms have been slowly disappearing for years and the doors no longer close properly.

I'll have to give this to someone else to do so I need to know what parts they will need.

Can they reuse the door skins? They are in very good nick apart from some ali corrosion along the bottom edges but I think thats just surface stuff, I just don't know if they can peel the skins enough to weld in the new pieces without damaging them

Does anyone have a recommendation of where to get the door bottom repair panels.

Then wheels

I like the original Mach5's but they sometimes look a bit, err, how can I put this. Not very neat. :blush:

Were there quality issues at one time and has anyone had any new ones recently.

Do the newer alloys fit the early Defenders?

I ask because I've ready we can't put boost alloys on.

Or I could just get my current modulars either replaced or repainted. But i've always lusted after the Mach5's

Thanks as always.

IanB

If you're having pay someone else to repair the doors then you may find it more cost effective to source newer doors in better condition and fit those instead.

New skins are available for push button doors, I'm not sure about lift handle doors tho

Door frame repair sections are available, I think YRM metal solutions do them

I'd agree on the "replace rather than repair" for the doors: Sod's Law ensures that once you start seriously dismantling _any_ part of a Land-Rover the corrosion will turn out to be vastly more-pervasive and expensive-to-fix than you thought.

The time/cost of prepping/spraying and then rebuilding all the hardware back into the door will be the same irrespective of whether it's being done to a new one or a repaired one.

f you're paying typical bodyshop-rates (£50/hour) the cost of spending several hours stripping and bodging the old door soon looks silly compared with the price of a new one. And you'll still have a bodged door.

Agree wholeheartedly about the doors. The Mach 5's are no longer made though - cheap copies putting him out of business I understand.

£5k is a fair wedge to have to spend on your truck - so it's worth really thinking about it. You can achieve a lot more than just new doors and expensive wheels.- you could get it put on a new galvanised chassis in that budget quite comfortably .... ?

Thanks for the advice guys.

The chassis is in pretty decent nick. I've had a replacement rear crossmember and had to repair a rust hole at the back of the chassis leg but I overhauled it 2 winters ago and it's in good nick.

Security is paramount because I have a canvas truck cab. So I've always got it in mind.

But again I have it reasonably well covered with a handbrake lock and kill switch. I would like to investigate a fuel lock system though. And anything From the cab i want to lock away gets put into a mobile storage systems drawer in the back which can be locked and padlocked.

Shame about the Mach 5s

Maybe I'll just get my modulars refurbished then, or buy new which I think might be cheaper.