Fuel Cut Off And Other Security Methods/advice

Hi guys,

A lot of defenders have been going missing around my local area recently if the info I've been given is correct I think 9 have been stolen since Christmas! Including my mates 90 that we found burnt out on the beach!

My dad and I both have defenders and we have CCTV that alerts us when somebody walks onto the drive we also have hidden battery isolators steering locks and a dog that goes off its head when anybody walks onto the driveway but I still feel I could do with some more security.

I'm thinking either a manual fuel shut off or wiring one up to a hidden switch somewhere the wiring is no problem but I'm just wondering where the best location would be to break the line and fit the valve and also hide the switch if I was to go down this road?

Also any other security suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Often the best place to hide the switch is in plain sight!.

If you have other extra switches add it to the row and label it work light or something similar, last thing a thief wants to do is turn all the lights on and so long as YOU know what it is thats all that matters, might have to explain it to the MOT tester though.

If it is hidden away somewhere it is the sort of thing that might be looked for.

Depending on what engine you have you can break the wire to the normal fuel cut of solinoid and add a switch in there, any one attempting to start the engine would just think it is a really bad starter and hopefully leave swearing, that never happens with a land rover product does it!.

Often the best place to hide the switch is in plain sight!.

If you have other extra switches add it to the row and label it work light or something similar, last thing a thief wants to do is turn all the lights on and so long as YOU know what it is thats all that matters, might have to explain it to the MOT tester though.

If it is hidden away somewhere it is the sort of thing that might be looked for.

Depending on what engine you have you can break the wire to the normal fuel cut of solinoid and add a switch in there, any one attempting to start the engine would just think it is a really bad starter and hopefully leave swearing, that never happens with a land rover product does it!.

I have a 200tdi engine where is the fuel cut off solenoid? Thanks

On the top of the injector pump I think, normally just one wire going to it, sometimes a second earth, should only be one wire on the injector pump, with the engine running if you disconnect it the engine should stop if it is the right one.

A shut-off valve in the diesel feed to the lift-pump would be a good approach - either a 90-degree-turn type, or alternatively a solenoid-valve fed from an ignition-controlled-live via a switch.

Of course this doesn't help you at all if the thieves come equipped with a beavertail or a truck with a HIAB.

X-Eng do some good security stuff, I think there's a forum discount too.

Indeed they do, the pedal box is a good visual deterrent.

TOM17 - Its also worth remembering that not just nice people read the forums so if you do decide to add some security to your truck its best (IMO) not to say too much about it on line.

Regards Paul

Still struggling to find the live into the fuel pump could anybody point me in the right direction I've looked only from above but can't find a thing!!

And yes Paul will keep that in mind good thinking!

Also going to look into those concreted in dropping bollards

Its sort of under here.Note - As it is the absolutely most common method of disabling a TDI and thus known about by every tea leaf on the planet I would try something different ..

Still going to do it as am extra method of deterrent! May look into the gear stick lock also from x eng