Ecu went up in smoke

Rangie46

Spoke to Nige today and ecu is repaired but we don't know what caused it to blow, so again I have been out regoing over my wiring as I am now afraid to plug the ecu back in when it returns and have it go pop again, so I have been looking for shorts again and have come across this and not sure if I should be getting this, across the blue/pink wire and the slate/orange I'm getting 14v? These are at the ecu end where the d37 plug goes

9DAF6E59-36AC-4EBC-9743-23C0160B5A51-156

And again with blue/pink and blue/ yellow

E98335DC-634D-4729-9E06-E1908197AC28-156

This is without the ign switched on, as soon as I pull the relays out the voltage goes away.

Why would you measure across the blue/pink and slate/orange? You're measuring a ground-switched relay feed (fuel pump) relative to a pulsed signal line (PIP) from the EDIS, if anything you're going to upset the EDIS by pulling its PIP line up to 12v through your multimeter.

Measuring from the FP line to the 12V_IGN feed, with the ignition off that would suggest your fuel pump relay coil is fed from a permanent live, so it'll float to 12v (or 14v) whereas the ignition side will be sat at 0v.

Neither of those measurements really tell you much about your wiring.

I'd be impressed that your battery voltage is 14v without the engine running, but I'm not sure how far I trust that very cheap multimeter with its flat battery...

By the sound of it the ECU fault could've been an error during assembly, once the smoke comes out of the smoothing cap you can't really tell which way round it was. I've managed it more than once over the years :ph34r: the problem is they don't explode immediately on the stim as wall-warts can't source enough current to cause a bang, but car batteries can!

Cheers ff, I'm just so nervous about plugging in the ecu and it going pop again, I've checked and checked and then checked again all my wirring and I'm pretty sure it's bang on to Nigel's diagram, suppose I'll just have to pray to the v8 gods and cross all me fingers and toes that it all goes well.

Happy happy days she is alive and I've got a grin like a Cheshire Cat, Nigel a big big thank you, I will update my build thread with a vid of it running when the rain stops as I just had enough time to bed in the cam before the heavens opened, once again can't thank you all enough

Here's a quick vid of it running, needs some tuning me thinks, I have also got megatune connected with the usb to serial adapter and all gauges go white and work except for the afr? Just stays red any ideas? Got some reading up to do on tuning now

http://s336.photobucket.com/user/wangie46/media/5D45452C-B97C-45A1-8497-82AADA4F4CF5-156-000002EE8B804543_zpsa9366f63.mp4.html

Beware that once you smother a lambda sensor in unburnt fuel (or burnt oil) it can clog & read incorrectly, usually incorrectly lean. You've got to be going some to manage it, but if it's pegged at the lean end and the car smells rich as hell, trust your nose and give the sensor a clean (heat with blowlamp).

All sorted now, engine running :-) and every thing working, just need to read up on tuning now, want to thank Nigel big time as he has had the ecu fixed and retuned all at his own cost, all I can say is what a top man, has looked after me all the way through, any one thinking of going ms Nigel is your man, will update my own build thread with any pics I have soon