Strange Motorway Fueling Problem

Paddy_SP

I tried posting this in the Discovery forum, but didn't get anywhere - as this is a generic 300Tdi issue, I thought I'd try again here:

I had to drive from mid-Devon to Bristol yesterday morning to collect some three-phase cable. Just as I was going over the nasty bit where the M5 curves around the side of what feels like a mini-mountain I had to give it some extra throttle to pass a truck that pulled out in front of me. Instead of the vehicle accelerating, it felt like I'd hit the brakes, and huge amounts of black smoke poured out of the back.

Luckily I'd just crested a rise and was able to cruise my way out of trouble on zero throttle, and whilst doing so threaded my way to the inside lane in case an emergency stop was needed - fortunately, it kept going, and I was able to start considering whether it'd make it to the next junction. On light load, the truck seemed OK, so as I only had two junctions to go - and they were close together, I continued on towards my destination. At the next hill though, the problem recurred, and it was so bad that I began to pull over to the hard shoulder. The poor bloke in the tow-truck behind me was completely swamped in black smoke (if it was you, sorry!), and in desperation I worked the throttle in an attempt to see if it made any difference. By then I'd slowed right down, but once again as soon as it was on light load the engine picked up, and I got to the junction without further drama.

I collected and paid for my cable, diverted to Bridgewater on the way back where I picked up a Migatronic welder, and by keeping it slow and gentle, made it home.

Candidate cuplrits at this stage include an injector failing (but it seemed more aggressive than that) or a fuel pump problem. I'd rather have guidance from someone who had experience of the issue, however, so I'd be most grateful for any suggestions or helpful comments!

Vehicle: R reg 300Tdi Disco 1, non-electronic throttle version, EGR blanked off.

+1 for turbo hose. Touch it when the engine's idling and feel for soft spots or just touching it might make it collapse while you're there.

The turbo hoses delaminate and boost air gets behind the delamination and blows the inner membrane of the hose up like a balloon blocking the flow of air to the engine. When the engine dies, boost pressure from the turbo dies and this is why it's all good again at idle until it boosts hard again.

I remember the first time I had this problem before forums happened and was well impressed at a new unheard of wayI'd foun for a Land Rover to break down.

Can you post a follow up so someone doing a search can know what the problem was and how it was resolved.

P5060034-1.jpg

P5060037-1.jpg

P5060041-1.jpg