Lt230 and pto's

mikec

Hi guys I'm just doin a box swap on the 90. Just taken the hydraulic pump off the transfer box to fix onto the new one and the new transfer box is missing the hole that feeds oil through to the pto. Can anyone enlighten me on this please? I'll add pics in a bit. Cheers mike

I'm not sure I understand, the photo on the left still has the bearing retainer plate on it held by the two countersunk screws, the next picture is missing that. The oil is just splash fed to the PTO coupling and other side of the bearing as I understand it through the hole. Is there something different I'm missing? The PTO's seem to have to sort out their own oil level and get on with it in most cases.

The one on the left with the oil hole looks just the same as one we stripped from a Disco 1 LT230.

If u look on the left hand side of the old box there's something in one of the holes which is like a long tube with half of it cut away this sticks I to the transfer box and presumably catches splashes of oil and feeds it to the pto. I should've probably took a pic of that aswell to illustrate. On the new box there is no where to put that tube

From memory that tube would only but up to the bolt flange on the pto as the pto only has anything resembling a gallery top and bottom anyway, mind it's a while since I looked at ours. Besides there's a level plug on the pto for oil anyway not that it matters much as they seem to end up filled to the brim.

Mike

When I fitted my PTO that pipe was missing, when I was asking on here for dimensions to make one people were saying they didn't know it was supposed to have one and theirs had been fine without it. (I did get dimensions in the end from MickeyW)

Aha, we live and learn. I never knew such a thing existed. Just to confirm the disco 1 transfer case didn't have that extra pipe I said earlier, I thought you were talking about the big hole in the retainer. Can you drill the new gearbox casing using the old retainer as a guide?

A hydraulic pump won't have a level plug on it but if there's some kind of extra gearbox attachment in front of it there might be something on that.

Aha, we live and learn. I never knew such a thing existed. Just to confirm the disco 1 transfer case didn't have that extra pipe I said earlier, I thought you were talking about the big hole in the retainer. Can you drill the new gearbox casing using the old retainer as a guide?

A hydraulic pump won't have a level plug on it but if there's some kind of extra gearbox attachment in front of it there might be something on that.

That's what's the forums for :)

No te pump itself won't be the pto unit might. Have to say it's been on two years now and I've not touched it.

You dont think that could be a drain , as how does it get oil into the pto , there are no pumps in the 230 ?

Not sure if you can see in the pic but that pipe is half round so I presume it just catches splashes from the transfer box and that trickles down to the pto.

Problem with leaving it of as I can see is that the mainshaft splines wear as it is because they get no lube so the chances of it libricationg the pto through that means seams slim to me

My bad I seem to of completely missed the word hydraulic. Sorry I was referring to the mechanical pto having a level plug having said that the mechanical pto does fill with oil so i guess there's no shortage of oil in that area. Main shaft wear is due to the oil not tracking back down the shaft hence either cross drilling or the splash cups once available.

Mike

You dont think that could be a drain , as how does it get oil into the pto , there are no pumps in the 230 ?

It's splash lubricated, the transfer box gears chuck oil in the general direction of that pipe and it lands in the cutout section, the far end of the pipe is blanked off so the only way for the oil to run is into the PTO housing.

EDIT: In the manual the tube is described as an oil catcher

My bad I seem to of completely missed the word hydraulic. Sorry I was referring to the mechanical pto having a level plug having said that the mechanical pto does fill with oil so i guess there's no shortage of oil in that area. Main shaft wear is due to the oil not tracking back down the shaft hence either cross drilling or the splash cups once available.

Mike

The hydraulic PTO housing also has an oil fill plug, I think it's only so there is some oil in it after installation before the oil catcher has done enough catching to fill it up.

post-25689-0-52260100-1401736917_thumb.jpg

Anyway, if it was me I'd be drilling the missing hole. If you remove the input gear and maybe the access cover on the underside of the transfer box you should avoid getting too much swarf in the box, maybe shove a cloth behind the hole as well to catch swarf as well?

Anyway, if it was me I'd be drilling the missing hole. If you remove the input gear and maybe the access cover on the underside of the transfer box you should avoid getting too much swarf in the box, maybe shove a cloth behind the hole as well to catch swarf as well?

Looks like I'll have to do that, luckily it's on the ground at the minute so no great problems there, just have to try and pull the input gear off. It seems pretty stuck on there tbh. Probably been on there a few years in storage!

Am sure they changed from screwed to not screwed at some point during the production of them, my current LT230 is supposedly an ex MOD one and that also doesn't have screws but does have the oil hole that is missing from yours.

If I remember correctly when we changed the transfer box on my 90 the one that came off (which I can reasonably assume to be the 1992 original) had a screwed-on retaining plate whereas the new one (which was from a late 300Tdi I think) did not, the plate was just retained by the cover plate bolts. I believe the older box also used paper gaskets between the box casting, retainer plate and cover plate, whereas the new box used bare metal mating surfaces and sealant (this is important as if you use the wrong setup it will mess up the input gear bearing pre-load).

That's certainly ringing a few bells here James :)

EDIT: although the gasket advice would depend on how the preload was set the last time the bearings were changed on the input gear.

Yes, you're right. A better way of phrasing it would be:

If there are gaskets in there then use them during re-assembly. If there aren't then don't - use sealant.

The pre-load on the input gear bearings is 0.05mm if I remember right so adding or removing the thickness of two gaskets would be enough to either over-tighten it or introduce unwanted end float.

• Like 1