Bolt on recovery points

Hi all,

I currently have a 100'' challenge truck which has jate rings on the rear which are great recovery points.

On the front however it's a tubular design with a winch mount welded in. As its been modified I have lost the jate rings on the front.

Has anyone used the bolt on swivel type recovery points? Are they strong enough for a challenge motor?

I can bolt them through either the winch mount or there is also a box section I had welder in to strengthen the from end of the chassis, just not sure if anyone has experience of these bolt on points...

Cheers

Bolt on is tricky. I made the thing in the photo and I think 2 M10 bolts for winching, use all six bolts for towing and weld it on 100% for winch challenge. Because; when the vehicle is stuck and you need a tow it's really stuck! hence the big yellow hook welded onto the chassis leg on the left chassis rail. There's another on the back. 'Daft' big is best :)

DropPinFairleadProto.jpg

Weld on or bolt on? AWDC comp regs (not challenge as I don't know them) always banned weld on points as there is no way of knowing the quality!

I have a LR Defender recovery loop on the back of mine that uses the tow hitch holes so M16.

Bolt on is tricky. I made the thing in the photo and I think 2 M10 bolts for winching, use all six bolts for towing and weld it on 100% for winch challenge. Because; when the vehicle is stuck and you need a tow it's really stuck! hence the big yellow hook welded onto the chassis leg on the left chassis rail. There's another on the back. 'Daft' big is best :)

DropPinFairleadProto.jpg

Really like this set up, you can tell you put a lot of thought into that !! Like you say big can definitely be better and that yellow hook you have welded on there should do it :)

Weld on or bolt on? AWDC comp regs (not challenge as I don't know them) always banned weld on points as there is no way of knowing the quality!

I have a LR Defender recovery loop on the back of mine that uses the tow hitch holes so M16.

Fully agree with unknown weld quality, there have been a fair few fail over the years.

The front end of my landy look like it would work with some kind of loop... Possibly under the winch tray there is a nice box to go off.... Sorry for the poor photo I will get some better ones over the weekend.

post-13526-0-11655800-1401918967_thumb.jpg

I was thinking along these lines:

post-13526-0-77462600-1401919304.jpgpost-13526-0-10170700-1401919315.jpgpost-13526-0-60091200-1401919328.jpg

What do you reckon? Or will so,etching a bit on the bigger side like that yellow hook I like the look of soooo much ;)

The swivel hooks I would avoid, because you need 2 hands to attach a winch hook. The hook idea works for team recovery, so you can connect a rope quickly, but if it is for a winch hook, I do like a loop more. Trouble is, if you are stuck in a hole with your nose downwards at about 45 degree, and someone tries to recover you, or you snatch your own winch, the hook can slip off. At the back I have a pintle, which does work well and quick, good if you are competing with 2 car teams.

Daan