SIIa Engine bay size ?

De Ranged

I'm after a favor

My next project is restoring my dads old SIIa 109 3 door station wagon, as a daily/tow wagon/camper for me one of the things I'd like to do is do a diesel repower in it

At the moment I have the option of either a Nissan TD27Ti or a TD42 +t motors, I have both... as you can guess since I want to tow with this the bigger 4.2L turbo (117Kw, 330Nm) is the one I'd like to use catch is I don't have the truck yet (don't have the space at my shed till I finish the toy)

Our version of legal rules for mods like this mean I need to submit a plan prior to start and that is what I'm working on at the moment (required brake upgrades are going to be a problem and will take alot of sorting so that is why I'm starting now...)

One of the things I need to know is the size of the engine bay so I can work out if I can fit this

Could someone with one please post up some pic's and give me dimensions

Cheers Reece

Well the width is essentially the same as the outside of the chassis rails as the wings sit entirely outside of the chassis. Have you not got access to the vehicle? The limiting factor will be the length between bellhousing and front crossmember. Various engines have been fitted though, even 6.2GMC's so you should be fine. A friend just fitted a Nissan FD35, that's tight on the front crossmember

I had a cast iron head crossflow Falcon engine in mine, had to move the front panel forward about 100mm to fit the radiator in. The crank pulley still had reasonable clearance to the front cross member all with the gearbox in the original position. The way I did it the back cast iron face of the motor was in the same place as the LR motor, it still had the funny rear crank seal housing/bellhousing bit.

You could always move the front crossmember forward if size is an issue.

With a high torque engine you will need to have great mechanical sympathy to avoid breaking gearboxes and half shafts. You may wish to consider a gearbox swap, and a stronger axle.

If you look at richards chassis website you can see a stage 1 v8 chassis - that will give you an idea as to the possibilities with crossmembers etc.

G.

My 109 project has a V8 front cross-member. It sits in front of the front panel. The tabs that normally sit on the front of the cross-member now sit on the back to keep said front panel in the same place, so it must gain 5 or 6"

I had a cast iron head crossflow Falcon engine in mine, had to move the front panel forward about 100mm to fit the radiator in. The crank pulley still had reasonable clearance to the front cross member all with the gearbox in the original position. The way I did it the back cast iron face of the motor was in the same place as the LR motor, it still had the funny rear crank seal housing/bellhousing bit.

Me and dad (I should say Dad did) fitted a Holden 6 and hit the same issue with the radiator... dads answer was to box a recess into the X member for the bottom tank lol

In my case I can safely say it will be forward of the grill

The basic plan (at this stage lol)

TD42 +t motor

Matching Nissan auto trans and transfer

Running out to the Salisbury on the back and standard on the front but with an ARB (this means the weak link is shafts hmmm)

On 31-32" rubber possibly even 33"s as the 4.7 diffs would be better geared to that (patrol runs a 4.1 diff,) so the best option gearing wise are the 33"s this will leave me only a few hundred rpm over the normal Patrol cruising rpm

Power steering (turning into a bloody big headache legally)

Major upgrade on brakes all round (requirement due to the large Kw increase)

Inside the cab, new trans tunnel

Fit an extra door on the passenger side (take it from a 3 door station wagon to a 4 door)

and fit a folding seat behind the passenger

New seats (leather seats from a Holden Callias)

New 3 point seat belts

Remove the bulk head behind the front seats

Swop in my clearanced fuel tank from the toy and do another for the other side

Thats all the legal stuff for Cert....

Hopefully in a few yrs they will let me add in coil suspension but thats impossible at the moment legally if I want to keep it as a landy.... if I do the suspension now it becomes a "scratch built" a one off brand new vehicle with a whole other level of drama lol

This might help a little bit, still a pretty round about way to figure out a simple measurement though!

The engine is about 780mm long, it is a bit tighter than I remember but you could still get a fan belt on so no worse than your average corrolla. The other tight spot is the fire wall/foot well which is only 400mm ish wide at the narrowest point and tapers out to 580mm. The EFI engine that is sitting in the driveway project only just clears the passenger foot well. The first picture is a SII the next three are on a RR chassis but the clearance around the fire wall should be the same. I also had (have) a cross flow radiator that fitted above the front cross member and didnt need the grill moved

PA100288_zpsf1c4219e.jpg

DSC00171_zps707eaf7a.jpg

DSC00166_zps028dfc2a.jpg

DSC00205_zps87568b2b.jpg

I have nothing really constructive to add, though I would like to say that I find this thread quite interesting. Not that I would ever (read: EVER) fit a Nissan Patrol engine to anything, but that's just me. No its all the other interesting engine swaps that pops up on these kinda threads, and I must say to you lads down under, you do get some interesting stuff done in your bush sheds! :i-m_so_happy:

To us less in the know of Aus/NZ domestic engines, could you give some info/specs on that last EFi 6cyl, looks quite tasty :)

The Nissan 6 cyl diesels were great:3.3 litre turbo, smooth, effortless power. Smashing, but thirsty engine.

If LR had been allowed to develop their own in the 1960s then the Toyotas and Nissans would have had a much tougher battle breaking into Africa/Australia, nevermind europe!

Those ones arent so great, 4.1l L6, they dont rev and arent all that powerful I think 120hp ish. They were very cheap though and had buckets of torque. These were out of late 70s to mid 80s Ford Falcons. The rough looking carbed one would pull away in second gear just letting the clutch out gently even with 3.54 diffs in it. The newer versions of these out of the BA Falcons would be good though, 4l 180kW.

The more popular conversion was a 186/202 ci Holden L6, these were physically smaller and reved better, these engines looked a bit like the Triumph straight six.

Odd comment Sorren I've only heard of good things... in fact I have a contracting mate with a fleet of over 20 4wd's the bulk patrols and instead of buying new trucks he buys up old patrols and rebuilds them the bulk are on over half a million ks and still going... given the grief with the new utes at my work (Rangers, Hilux) I think he is right lol

Yes the early toyota hilux diesels were simply weak lol But the cruiser 13b motor that was/is a tough reliable motor I can't see anything LR could have done to compete

But remember back then diesels were underpowered and heavy and petrol was cheap.... the only ones buying diesels were the contractors and most still bought petrol because they out performed

LR lost out here because of performance vs price... they priced themselves out of the market, they had a product that struggled to do road speed, was uncomfortable, leaked air and water lol was noisy leaked oil etc vs a truck (hilux) that did perform, had car seats a stereo, the cab sealed and they had modern rubber oil seals and was from memory $10+K cheaper... when farming slumped in the 80's there last steadfast market stopped buying

LR had there heads in the sand

The Truck I plan to do this too has a 202 in it, they were a great motor when fuel was cheap lol wouldn't consider running one now

Fitting the engine between front chassis crossmember and the bulkhead might not be the biggest problem, trying to fit everything in front of it while trying to keep the stepped front is another issue.

I've got a 4cylinder 3B in it, with the slimmest IC I could find (only an inch thick) and a defender radiator with dual electric fans. There's like 1,5" between the waterpump pulley and the E-fans. I tried all I could to keep the headlights in the rad panel but it just wouldn't fit. I threw the rad panel out and made a new one out of angle iron and the top bit of the old panel. Otherwise it wouldn't fit. The front of the panel sits in it original position,

2012-06-07205115.jpg

Had a measure up on a mates Patrol tonight, I need 950mm to fit engine, fan and radiator lol.... might end up pushing it back a bit into the cab and the lights will have to move to the guards

Width wise I'm all good and height wise it looks do-able from the rough measures

So I'm going to plan on it working

The lexus V8 conversions have been very popular here in South Africa. We get many imported engines from Japan with 50 - 80000km on them(basically run in). The Lexus delivers +/- 210 kw. It is a all aluminium 4L V8 (so very light). It is fairly light on fuel. The auto boxes are not that great for off roading though, so most people here run a 5 speed Toyota manual box behind it. The bellhousing adaptor/ clutch kits allready exist and there are many aftermarket engine management systems available. The come in a few variants, 4L non VVTi, 4L VVTi, 4,3L VVTi and I believe there is a 4.7L that was used in some Cruisers, but that is a cast iron block. (heavy)

Lol not the best deal those things.... yea they do alright towing but when you have to use them they are thirsty also your looking at no change out of $5000 to fit them with a manual, the Patrol motor loves to tow are good for over half a mil K's and cheap to run and will cost less than $2000 all up including a new turbo

Thanks for that Chessy at 950mm its going to be tight but I think I can squeeze a bit into the cab and I'll be good lol

Got a SIIa short wheel base coming into the shop next week, giving a guy a hand to restore and add a Isuzu diesel so I'll confirm the measures then

Odd comment Sorren I've only heard of good things... in fact I have a contracting mate with a fleet of over 20 4wd's the bulk patrols and instead of buying new trucks he buys up old patrols and rebuilds them the bulk are on over half a million ks and still going... given the grief with the new utes at my work (Rangers, Hilux) I think he is right lol

Yes the early toyota hilux diesels were simply weak lol But the cruiser 13b motor that was/is a tough reliable motor I can't see anything LR could have done to compete

But remember back then diesels were underpowered and heavy and petrol was cheap.... the only ones buying diesels were the contractors and most still bought petrol because they out performed

LR lost out here because of performance vs price... they priced themselves out of the market, they had a product that struggled to do road speed, was uncomfortable, leaked air and water lol was noisy leaked oil etc vs a truck (hilux) that did perform, had car seats a stereo, the cab sealed and they had modern rubber oil seals and was from memory $10+K cheaper... when farming slumped in the 80's there last steadfast market stopped buying

LR had there heads in the sand

The Truck I plan to do this too has a 202 in it, they were a great motor when fuel was cheap lol wouldn't consider running one now

Hi mate, sorry for the late answer, but have been away playing in the 80" for some days :)

I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else that may have a fondness of those engines, I just don't like them personally. So I hope you didn't take it personally. Anyways in my book they are far too heavy compared to there performance, they lack low down torque, and for some reason in Denmark they really do not hold up great at all, breaking crankshafts and heads like there is no tomorrow. I'd much prefer Toyota Diesel's if I were to chose a non LR diesel. But frankly ever since the TDI range was launched I can't see any good reason why I should choose anything else. Only the 2,8TGV would be better in my book :)However, It's only my opinion from the position I'm in, and you being on the other side of the world might change a whole lot of factors. For instance I'm pretty sure TDI's don't exactly grow on trees down there :D

Lol not the best deal those things.... yea they do alright towing but when you have to use them they are thirsty also your looking at no change out of $5000 to fit them with a manual, the Patrol motor loves to tow are good for over half a mil K's and cheap to run and will cost less than $2000 all up including a new turbo

Thanks for that Chessy at 950mm its going to be tight but I think I can squeeze a bit into the cab and I'll be good lol

Got a SIIa short wheel base coming into the shop next week, giving a guy a hand to restore and add a Isuzu diesel so I'll confirm the measures then

You guys are spoilt for choice there when it comes to diesels. Here I would be able to buy and perform a complete installation Lexus V8 with gearbox and adaptors for the purchase price of a small diesel. (2.8 / 3.1 Isuzu or 2C or 3C Toyota)

Its a shame the newer diesels arent so common here, I would quite like an OM606 - 4L80e - LT230. Way back when I put that series 2 together a friend bought a 2 door range rover with an FD42, that thing tended to embarrass the V8 rangies at the time.