Buying Help

need4speed

Im a total Disco newbie. Defenders are usually my thing, but my old man has seen a 300tdi disco 1 for sale reasonably close to him.

Seller has offered to send me pics. Where should i ask him to take close up pics of on the vehicle? Where are the common places for them to go?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Im a total Disco newbie. Defenders are usually my thing, but my old man has seen a 300tdi disco 1 for sale reasonably close to him.

Seller has offered to send me pics. Where should i ask him to take close up pics of on the vehicle? Where are the common places for them to go?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Everywhere! Front footwells, sills, boot floor, rear inner wings, rear crossmember, chassis in front of fuel tank, front inner wings, headlamp boxes just to start with......

Hi there

Inner wings, bulkhead body mounts, front body mounts, under the battery area both sides, sills inner and outer, the footwells, the rear load bed, rear body mounts, any body mount for that matter rear wheel wells. The chassis can develop tin worm to. The sun roofs leak, the roof can rust.

You might be lucky and get a good one.

I had a 1990 200 2door and a1997 300 4door similar faults with both I'm just lucky like that.

If you can do your own work it will help. i do like the disco look.

I know you haven't asked would I buy another, not even in a fit.

About the only bit that doesn't seem to rot is the chassis unless it's a td5 then that rots as well. I have a disco (200tdi) here that I reckon if you hit the brakes hard enough you could get the body off.

Having said that there are some very clean rot free ones out there and in my opinion it's the best all round land rover ever built.

Mike

I'd go along with that,its only the rust that kills them - you just have to decide how far you want to go in repairing it.As a vehicle they are very useful,will do just about anything.Certainly more capable than a Defender - for a lot less money too.

oops, forgot to add the axle casings rust nearly as quick as the bodywork, if there is oil staining around the filler plug there's a damn good chance that when u unscrew it the bit of the diff pan will come away (ask me how I know, go on) , shock mounts on the axle fall apart , as do spring seats and, for a really exciting brown trouser moment, so do the training arm mounts.

Bottom line is these buggers can and do rot anywhere and everywhere. A mate has just scrapped his 300 (owned from new and wax oiled every year) due to terminal chassis and body rot....

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Its owned by a mechanic at an independent LR garage here in Scotland.

I mentioned all the areas you guys have mentioned to me, and not only does he say that there is no sign of rot, but he says that there has been no welding done to it either!

Its had a new clutch 5 months ago and just through an mot.

Regarding the axles, i have 2 new casings lying in the garage as i couldnt get what i wanted for them a few years back. Im glad of that now!

Anyway it sounds like a clean one so im going to look at it on Tuesday. I'll post pics if we get it. :)

Discoverys are no worse than any other mass market passenger vehicle of that era as regards rust. Bear in mind that the youngest D1 is some 16 years old, and some are well into their twenties. Name any other vehicle of that age that is still on the road in significant numbers and that have not suffered corrosion. How many of their contemprorary Far Eastern competitors do you see about? At least the Discovery is relatively easy and cheap to repair.