steering problems...

Mark

I seem to be getting a problem with the steering on the Disco. Driving straight is no problem, but turning from straight ahead to either left or right is really quite a struggle. Once the whole lot is moving it is fine, but it is the intial start of turning that is a problem, as if there is no power assistance for that bit of the travel. Turning from lock to lock has some'lumpy' bits in it in places, and seems to be difficult to start moving. Is this a common issue? Is my steering box shagged?

Now, a while ago, I modded the disco to have the steering damper in the same position as a defender. (here) Could this have anything to do with my problem?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Bleed PAS

Check enough slack in box

AS BB says checks sterring U/Js

Check steering dampener isn't bent etc

Often helps to jach wheels off ground

If still no go remove stering arms

try again if still there then box area as no axles attched !

If ok then check each side of axle by moving manully if stiff look for swivel bushes damaged or CV inside

HTH

Nige

also worth trying with the damper removed to eliminate that from the equation.

can also try jacking and turning at the wheels to 'feel' the resistance, then try that with the steering UJ removed.

i puit money on the UJs as BB and HFH.

The most unlikely suggestion yet but if all the other help fails and the box turns out to be ok....

During the modifications did you fit castor corrected front arms?

If you have overcorrected ( effectively as wrong as going the other way ) the castor angle then the tendancy to self centre will be so strong that to move it away from centre will be a fight.....

David

Thanks for the suggestins chaps - I will do some more investigation...

to answer a couple of questions though - No castor corrected radius arms, although it could probably do with them. TREs, trackrod and draglink are all new. Damper is also new, so not bent.

Havn't checked the UJs but I certainly will do, and the pump might be a good call - could it just be a slack belt?

cheers

Mark

same as I had the steering column UJs were seized that sorted it for a while then the Pas pump was starting to make noises finally the Steering box itself was replaced as it was leaking. All TREs replaced and drop arm ball joint.

all is well again then it should be really :)

Well, everyone who said it was the steering ujs - well done, and thanks! They were somewhat siezed and caked in carp so a good dowsing in WD40 has got them to move again, and the steering is now much closer to how it should be. I will replace the uj's soon, but this gets it mobile...

Cheers all for the help

Mark

when you replace the UJs the top one comes as part of the shaft if its the same as mine. you looking about £60-70 to do both due to this. hence my one with play in has been on there for years

I can let you have a steering column with the U/J's for £25 collect Basingstoke or Bordon.