Rainforest Challenge

GBMUD

I see that there is a RFC Portugal. Now, forgive me, but I do not think that Portugal has a rainforest! So, I guess that this must be becoming a generic term for a certain type of event/challenge - rather like hoover or, dare I say it, jeep.

What is the format of the Malasian event and does the Portugese event differ in any way - other than not being set in a rainforest!? :P Am I correct in thinking that it is a combination of speed and challenge type stages? How is it scored, is it only on time or are there points to be collected, won etc. Would this format work in the UK and, if so, would anyone enter it? Is it going to be the next big thing - after all, winch challenges are so last year! :) How does RFC compare in format to the eastern European/Russian events that Dollythelw etc. does?

Cheers

Chris

The baltic events dont involve building bridges or running around doing stuff - its just drive and survive, we dont have a set course - just a case of make it through from A to B anyhow you can via a number of checkpoints, we dont have X men to make anything passable for us and but we do have the rescue squadron who will try to reach you within 2 days if you get knobbled, the only spectators tend to be bears, moose or mosquitoes, there is a class system dependant on vehicle preparation (Tr1, 2, 3, 4, Raid, Tourist) and the class you are in dictates the route you get to do - portals automatically put you into the top 2 classes, senior events pull 180+ teams average, I dont think theres too many areas big enough in the UK to do that :(

Im not sure but I think the European RFC events are franchises from the parent organisation - what was the format like Pod?

Thanks for the reply Jez, I was starting to think that the questions must be too difficult for people. :P

we dont have a set course - just a case of make it through from A to B anyhow you can via a number of checkpoints, we dont have X men to make anything passable for us and but we do have the rescue squadron who will try to reach you within 2 days if you get knobbled, the only spectators tend to be bears, moose or mosquitoes, there is a class system dependant on vehicle preparation (Tr1, 2, 3, 4, Raid, Tourist) and the class you are in dictates the route you get to do - portals automatically put you into the top 2 classes, senior events pull 180+ teams average, I dont think theres too many areas big enough in the UK to do that :(

Mmmm, sounds impractical. :( Anyone own a Scottish estate? Most of Wales perhaps? :(

Chris

the RFC is a 9 day event through proper rainforest. It is a set route you follow, not much choice in routes anyway. Everyone does the same route, so its very much a team effort with much bridgebuilding, passing landslides, fixing cars or leave them behind if you cant. Special stages are usually just another stretch of jungletrack which you have to pass as fast as possible.

I have done it twice now, competing in 2003, official in 2005. The circumstances very much depend on the whether, both times I went were very wet and hard going. you are living out of your car for 10 days, last year I didn't see any civilisation for 10 days (competitors did

I think have a chance to fill up on recources on day 3 and then untill the end of the event.

The rules are pretty loose; 36" tyres max, portals allowed. The classes are only making differences in engine size and fuel type.

The cars usualy represent a base car, rather than a buggy type special.

I love the event, would like to build another truck and go back in the future.

As jez points out, it is very different from the ladoga for example, were teams are looking after cars and service them. Preparation is much more specialized for this event but you are closer to civilisation.

I am also looking at the russian event, being an offroad and general engineering enthusiast it does interest me, who knows I will end up doing the event. Still, the jungle gives me a certain buzz which I dont think is anywhere like a lake in russia, but everyone to its own.

About the portugees event; shaun (bushdoctor) will be able to tell you how they compare as he did them both.

daan

Dosn't Will own Barkshire

( :ph34r: sorry Will)(I'll buy you a pint on Thursday week I couldn't stop myself)

:P Seriously, Scotland, Wales and Ireland have big enough area of land but contacts are difficult to forge and running an event of the sort of scale of Ladoga is unbelievable. The only club in the UK that'd have a chance is the AWDC and I think they'd struggle. By the sounds of it the closest event to the Baltic format is the Highland Enduro but as that's a COR event its a 35" tyre limit and no portals. I understand 3-Peaks is also pretty simerlar but non competitive.

AFAIK, the theory behind the portugese RFC event is that its part of a European series that takes in most differant terrians using the timed special stage principal. There is then the final out in Malasyia. There's a round in Ireland IIRC.

there is even an rfc planned in Holland..... Sounds a bit of a downer if you ask me!

The idea is you do every round and if you win you go to malaysia for free.

My advice is to skip them all and funnel all your resources onto the main RFC event and learn and experience more than all those european events put together. if you organize it well it will cost you two weeks of holiday.

Daan

there is even an rfc planned in Holland..... Sounds a bit of a downer if you ask me!

The idea is you do every round and if you win you go to malaysia for free.

My advice is to skip them all and funnel all your resources onto the main RFC event and learn and experience more than all those european events put together. if you organize it well it will cost you two weeks of holiday.

Daan

Hmmm!

Scotland sounds like a plan!

Chris, you want the real answer...?

The RFC Portugal, is basiclly a qualifying event for the real deal 'The malaysain RFC'

The winner of the Portugal evnt wins Free entry or 5000 euro's (There choice)

The entry includes shipping of the vehicle, hotels and entry fee.

The areas required for this are actually quite small. The reason for this is that all the competitive work is done in sections.

The REAL RFC as Daan will tell you is more about gwetting through the jungle than actually competing at the set stages.

There is however, a new set of events starting next year under the banner of the Europeon RFC.

These having nothing to do with the Rfc qualifer in Portugal that Adrian has just won.

Confused...? Yes, so are we...? :rolleyes:

The idea of the new series to get as many different nationalitys competing as possible, then having a final at some point in the year, with the prize being (You guessed it) a paid trip to the real RFC.

Sound fine in princaple, but the questions have been raised

1/ Is there to many big events?

2/ Who could afford it?

3/ Will anyone enter?

4/ How many rounds do you have to enter to get a score?

So as you can see, lots of work still to do.... B)

Will keep you imformed as i find out more.

Jim :)

Thanks Jim and all.

What I am really interested to know is how the RFC Portugul is run in terms of competition. I guess that it is just like running trial sections/challenge sections against the clock. I wonder if there would be enough uptake in the UK alone for a similar event to happen here - not associated in any way with RFC Europe or Malasia.

I guess that one would need to find a large enough area to set out sufficient sections to make a weekends worth of sections... I wonder if somewhere like Tommy's farm would offer enough terrain - albeit not that varied. And you would have to get shot of the motorbikes for the day! Are there any similarly large areas available for hire south of the Scottish border?

Chris

there was an event being touted as the Ladoga experience in Wales - to be honest it seemed nothing more than a money raising exercise for driving around a few acres of woods, but people seemed happy, they got a sticker saying they did the Difflock Ladoga weekend :unsure:

Im with Daan, if you want the real mcCoy in any discipline then go and do it, theres no rainforest in Europe and the concept seems laughable, calling it the European Challenge series or something would seem more sensible

perhaps the Paris Dakar to be held at Slab common?

The baltic events dont involve building bridges or running around doing stuff - its just drive and survive

From what I have seen of the terrain in the photos, it's difficult to build a bridge when there is nothing hard to build it on and I guess you can't really run in eight feet of slop either? :lol:

Chris, you want the real answer...?

The RFC Portugal, is basiclly a qualifying event for the real deal 'The malaysain RFC'

The winner of the Portugal evnt wins Free entry or 5000 euro's (There choice)

The entry includes shipping of the vehicle, hotels and entry fee.

The areas required for this are actually quite small. The reason for this is that all the competitive work is done in sections.

The REAL RFC as Daan will tell you is more about gwetting through the jungle than actually competing at the set stages.

There is however, a new set of events starting next year under the banner of the Europeon RFC.

These having nothing to do with the Rfc qualifer in Portugal that Adrian has just won.

Confused...? Yes, so are we...? :rolleyes:

The idea of the new series to get as many different nationalitys competing as possible, then having a final at some point in the year, with the prize being (You guessed it) a paid trip to the real RFC.

Sound fine in princaple, but the questions have been raised

1/ Is there to many big events?

2/ Who could afford it?

3/ Will anyone enter?

4/ How many rounds do you have to enter to get a score?

So as you can see, lots of work still to do.... B)

Will keep you imformed as i find out more.

Jim :)

Umm, do you think you win free entry if you understand what's going on????? :ph34r:

I think the secret of any event is not to try and live up to anything else because, 9 / 10 time you'll fail. Just try and make a good event in its own right.

I found it interesting that a lot of people go and do playdays, every event under the sun in the uk, adding up to about 20 weekends (?) away. This all costs an x amount of money in terms of entry fees, fuel, busted landrovers costing god knows how much.

People are not worried about this. But sugest to go somewhere else like malaysia, russia or australia and things go very quiet. Exactly 0 competitors went to oz or malay this year. A handfull did actually go to russia, courtesy to Jez promoting things a bit i think.

But even portugal or croatia struggles to get one competitor to represent the UK. The portugees entry shows we can show something. What exactly holds people back to go and do it? Money will be the easy answer, but you could just have a different plan and spend your money different I would say.

Daan

What exactly holds people back to go and do it? Money will be the easy answer, but you could just have a different plan and spend your money different I would say.

The English channel. As well as being a physical barrier it has become a psychological barrier to people's thinking. We may be European but I think that a lot of the time we feel very seperate to the rest of continental Europe. The cost of travel across the channel does not help either; while it may not be a lot of money in the long term it is another barrier to international travel - IMHO anyway. ISTR that a ferry company charge more than twice the cost for a vehicle with a trailer than for a vehicle on it's own... not good value!

The other thing, I think, is that we do not, as a rule, speak foreign languages in the UK (not to defend that, it is a bluddy disgrace!). If we go to Portugal, Croatia, Netherlands etc., we are at an instant perceived disadvantage as we have no idea about the language. Even if we did a language at school then it is French and, chances are we were not good at it and have forgotten most of it - I know that that is not universally true. At a guess, most European schools teach English as a second languge - many younger Europeans seem to speak very good english.

Chris

I guess its the same with Malaysia and Russia Daan

its not as expensive as you think, it is doable - we work for a living too, pay bills an have no sponsors.

We ended up shepherding all but 1 of the UKs entries last year, helped with paperwork, got them through the border and had them in our camp, next year its a bit different though.

But the Baltic cup is easily accessible from the UK........ is anyone else going from the UK? so far whenever I mention it everyone seems to go quiet. :unsure:

maybe the "extreme death maim kill kill psycho hardcore even more extreme - kill them lots" orange team from London will be joining us? or maybe they are washing thier stickers that weekend...

Chris - dont worry about a lack of language, travel with a good heart and nothing's a problem, you'd be surprised how common English is in Russia, even in the backwoods of nowhere you will find someone that wants to practice it, add that to a phrase book, a stick and some mud (or be posh and have paper and a pen for drawing) and you can communicate with anyone, anywhere in the world :)

learning the basics "please, thanks, beer, vodka, diesel, Oh dear (or alternative expletive), yes, no, toilet, broken, left, right, straight on, Im English" will cover pretty much everything else :lol:

If you want to be truly lazy the race organisers even have a staff of official translators to make life easier for competitors, we translate the rules and reports into English to help out - so theres not a lot left in the way

Jez, I'd love to compete further afield but, right now, time is a major problem - getting a few days is fine, getting a week is not :( That's my big problem at the moment which seriosuly limits what events I can do and where :(

Ladoga next year would be unlikely but I think tourist or Tr 2/3 would be good the year after to have a scout.