Fitting a 110 roof to a series ?

Just picked up a 110 station wagon roof for a song, which I would like to fit to my series 3 Stage One wagon that the previous owner had hacked up to create a twin cab pickup. I want to retain the Series galvanised steel framed windscreen because the die cast and extruded aluminium 110/defender screens do not provide any support to the roof whatsoever in the event of a roll over.

The 110 roof lid wraps around the top corners of the higher 110 windscreen frame, unlike on a series vehicle, where the roof lid sits flat on top of the series windscreen frame. Would I be correct in thinking that I just have to fabricate a filler/adaptor panel to fit between the series windscreen frame and the higher front windscreen mounting interface of the 110 roof lid ? Has anyone here ever done what I am proposing to do ?

Assuming this is the cheapest way to do things, parts availability in your part of the world denying you the chance to sell the defender roof and buy a series safari roof:

You could do what you propose, I think it might look odd. Though you could take the opportunity to fit some LED flood lights or something into the gap, or aerial mountings?

What I'd do is cut off the Defender screen mounting flange and cut the series roof to match, with an overlap. I'd then jogle the defender roof and secret rivet the series equivalent into it's place, with a good PU adhesive (tiger seal) to seal the lap.

I'd then weld the flanges together, and zinc spray the join.

Some good filler over the lap and a respray should see it fine, at least on the inside.

I would have thought just sell the defender roof and fit a series roof , would probably be a better quality item anyhow , as the defender ali thickness was reduced about the time they put defender badges in place of 110 and 90 . Plenty of series vehicles laying around in Oz , Well in WA from what I saw !

Series roofs don't seem to come up that often short of buying a complete vehicle. I do have future plans of replicating the Defender windscreen frame in steel, but not right now, so I'm looking at the gap filler as an interim measure. The roof lid I have is the early stronger 110 county type with the 3 external ribs, not the carp Defender type that are no stronger than a rag top.

you could lower the rest of the roof to make it line up with the windscreen. This is how I created my lowered roof. I must admit though, relying on the windscreen for rollover protection appears a bit wishfull thinking on a 2 ton vehicle. The fact that the later defender roofs are thinner, was a consideration for me to go for one because of COG, it weighed 17 kg when finished.

you could lower the rest of the roof to make it line up with the windscreen. This is how I created my lowered roof. I must admit though, relying on the windscreen for rollover protection appears a bit wishfull thinking on a 2 ton vehicle. The fact that the later defender roofs are thinner, was a consideration for me to go for one because of COG, it weighed 17 kg when finished.

I've rolled several series LandRovers over the years, and the steel framed windscreen has always provided sufficient support to prevent the roof from 'pancaking'.I'm too rough and ready to lower the roof panel in the same way that you did yours Daan.Besides, unlike WildFing, my Stage One is more a medium mobility long distance tourer, so doesn't require a lower roof for clearance in narrow gulleys and ravines. Legality of the front hoop on roll cages is a bit of a grey area over here currently. Road accident rescue authorities claim their Jaws Of Life have difficulty in cutting through a roll bar in an emergency, so it may eventually boil down to the authorities preventing us from protecting our own safety. Have to keep one or two vehicles in my fleet above board and road legal.

surely if you have a proper cage (external at least) i would imagine the doors would still open fine after even a serious incident. anything worse they probably dont need to get you out in such a hurry!

i think thats silly!

surely if you have a proper cage (external at least) i would imagine the doors would still open fine after even a serious incident. anything worse they probably dont need to get you out in such a hurry!

i think thats silly!

Yeah but we have to deal with bureaucrats on power trips over here. Common sense rarely comes into it. Having said that, I have just been informed that Terra Firma market a roll cage kit that is apparently legal over here, although I have a personal preference for internal cages.