Ifor Williams electrics

Simon_CSK

I need to rewire the main 7 core cable in my Ifor car transporter trailer. Can anyone point me in the direction of what amperage cable I need? I would sooner buy too heavy a cable than too light.

Highest load per core will be stoplight as the one core supplies both sides... 42w in total assuming standard bulbs and not LED units therefore 3.5amps. All other cores are less than this, even if you are running marker lights off the tail light feeds.

Most of my trailer wire/7 core is 1mm2 which has a load of 8.75a.

7-core trailer lighting cable seems to come in two sizes - I usually buy the heavier one.

I have seen some trailer brake lights pulse dim when indicators are on, so I always assumed this was caused by inadequate capacity on the earth wire.

What aniesigh said - there's skinny and not skinny types of 7-core, the ground return (white) core is / should be bigger than the rest and it should be up to any standard trailer.

Most problems with dim lights etc. are down to dirty / corroded / damaged 7-pin connectors or damaged / corroded / cheap rubbish trailer lights.