OT - I'm definitely a fully fledged Jock then!!

Fatboy

As winter approaches, I thought it wise to get the plough frame mounted on the 90 while I can still do it in a relaxed fashion... (ie not in 2ft of snow). :)

Needs a bit of modifying this year as its going on a different motor to last year and I don't think any two are the same :huh:

Anyway, its a heavy piece of kit which bolts to the bumper with legs that bolt to the Jate ring holes and as I was working on my own, I was kinda holding it up, sliding the jate bolts through then needed to mark it up for "adjustment" before removal.

To aid in the holding, I decided to tie-wrap the top of the frame to the A Bar and this worked fine. However, it needed a few iterations and I was resenting the potential of having to chuck away three tie-wraps each time.

So, I studied the tiewraps and figured out where to cut so I could RE-USE two out of the three !!! every time.

There, I've said it - I'm a tight git...

Anybody else re-use tie-wraps or is it an "extreme" thing ? (or have you any other top tips for saving pennies... ;)

Easy to tell - do you wear a frock instead of some 'normal trousers'? :hysterical:

Les :D

(no offense)

Les - None taken :)

I've had my frock for 16 years and wear it for weddings, funerals, parties - Every event which is "Black tie", Suit, Smart but casual etc etc. Even rugby matches.

I've saved a fortune not having to buy suits ! :D

Doesn't a kilt cost a few hundred quid?

i thought you mugged an old granny & made them out of their shopping trolley!

if you have a small enough screwdriver you can get in the 'rachcet' section of the cabletie & open them back up, reusing them all - and thats from a tight southerner.

I always cut cable ties so as to leave as much re-usable length as possible. I also keep the heads with the latching mechanism in so I can slide it onto a cable tie to form a "rivet".

I use these to hold my sidelights on (SIII), no dissimilar metals and earth currents to corrode the ali. (I do fit an extra earth wire!)

Doesn't a kilt cost a few hundred quid?

Les. :)

The kilt itself can be a few hundred but it is all of the accessories which start to add up.... I got the lot for my 21st birthday so it was a pretty good deal. All told, well over a grand I suppose.. :)

Anybody else re-use tie-wraps

You're only a real tightwad when you start cutting them off lamposts (the remnants of all the tatty signs you see) :blush:

I've not done it yet, but there must be twenty on one lampost in the village

...........and I would be doing a service to the community (not to be confused with "community service") :P

I use a safety pin.

Whahey! :D I'm not on my own!! (and not the tightest git on the planet either! :P )

As it looks like we have shared some excellent money saving and tool enhancing practices, will this make it to the Technical Archive ???? :lol::lol:

This afternoon, I'm off up Union Street with a Safety Pin to recycle loads of nice, strong Tie-wraps.