OME shocks

BogMonster

Who currently offers the best price on OME shock absorbers in the UK? Several people here have tried them and reckon they make an awesome difference on our roads compared to standard dampers, so I'm thinking about some as the Monroe's I have got seemed good at first but things seem to be getting a bit wallowy lately.

So who is cheapest and what should I be asking for, for a 90 with a fair bit of kit in it, about 1.5" lift at the back and about 1" at the front?

Ta

S

Who currently offers the best price on OME shock absorbers in the UK? Several people here have tried them and reckon they make an awesome difference on our roads compared to standard dampers, so I'm thinking about some as the Monroe's I have got seemed good at first but things seem to be getting a bit wallowy lately.

So who is cheapest and what should I be asking for, for a 90 with a fair bit of kit in it, about 1.5" lift at the back and about 1" at the front?

Ta

S

Steve, wait a week or so then call Frogs Island and ask for JJ and say I sent you, I don't think you'll be able to beat their price. JJ's on hols in Morroco at the mo co-driving for Bob Seaman.

More info on OME spring rates [in lbs, not kg's] tech archive

&

more here, load carrying capacities in kg's

got my OME springs & dampers from Chris Bashall at here

IIRC I've got 751 springs on the front [winch & heavy bumper & 200Tdi] & 754's on the rear [rally recovery kit 400kg's] with matching OME dampers, they ride & handling is very good, twisty roads are great fun.

Just want the shock absorbers not springs, I know somebody here with OME springs on the vehicle and everybody who has ever been in it reckons it shakes all their teeth out!

My other option is a set of Genuine 110 rears on the back and leave the Monroes on the front, I think it is mostly the rear that is a bit wobbly by the feel of it.

Main problem that occurred to me today is that I need it sorted by Christmas and I don't think they would be here by christmas if I ordered them now...

I hope OME(ARB AUS) put more thought into the design of their shock absorbers than they do with their Eurathane suspension bushings. I bought a full set of front /rear control arm bushings for a Rangey a while back, and they were so loose fitting that the performance was worse than the worn out genuine rubber bushings I replaced. I went back to the shop (ARB headquarters in Melbourne) to look for another set and every set they had in stock were the same.

Bill.

I hope OME(ARB AUS) put more thought into the design of their shock absorbers than they do with their Eurathane suspension bushings. I bought a full set of front /rear control arm bushings for a Rangey a while back, and they were so loose fitting that the performance was worse than the worn out genuine rubber bushings I replaced. I went back to the shop (ARB headquarters in Melbourne) to look for another set and every set they had in stock were the same.

Bill.

Had you already been using any poly bushes before these.... as this might explain things:

I have seen on several occasions radius arms that bushes just fall through rather than press in because the poly ones that had been fitted in the past had worn the holes so much that proper metal cased bushes would just slip in!

Combine this 'poly done damage' along with the elongated, ovalled holes in the axle brackets and the fact that if you push them offroad they fall aprt! ( esp. the chassis end of rear arms ) just goes to rreinforce my argument that poly bushes are a far better marketing success than actual product!!!

David

Had you already been using any poly bushes before these.... as this might explain things:

I have seen on several occasions radius arms that bushes just fall through rather than press in because the poly ones that had been fitted in the past had worn the holes so much that proper metal cased bushes would just slip in!

Combine this 'poly done damage' along with the elongated, ovalled holes in the axle brackets and the fact that if you push them offroad they fall aprt! ( esp. the chassis end of rear arms ) just goes to rreinforce my argument that poly bushes are a far better marketing success than actual product!!!

David

I agree with your opinion on poly bushes in general and personally don't use them. But the OME ones were for a customer and the vehicle previously only ever had genuine steel / rubber/steel type bushes. The OME ones were just poorly made, pure and simple.

Bill.

4x4store are normally very keen on pricing

I could get a set and post onto you if that would be cheaper

D44 not cheap but warranty no issues

I broke one of mine they were approx £50 apiece

they exchanged it there and then it was only the 2nd failure they had warrantied in many years.

4x4store are normally very keen on pricing

I could get a set and post onto you if that would be cheaper

D44 not cheap but warranty no issues

I broke one of mine they were approx £50 apiece

they exchanged it there and then it was only the 2nd failure they had warrantied in many years.

So they should OME's have a 2 year unlimted warrenty