EDC 300tdi running like a dog

Mudmonkey

Hi all, not posted on here in a while.

The curse of the EDC engine strikes again! Just after a few opinions on the cause of my problems, I'm away from it for a few weeks now so thought it best to have a few directions to go at it when I get back.

Anyway, the problem!

As with many EDCs over time it's become an absolute pig to start, starter cranks plenty but the engine takes some time to go.

I could live with that but then it got worse, once it was running it sounded as if it was misfiring or had air in the fuel or something. If you backed off the revs too harshly it would stall and would again be a pig to start.

Whilst it's been sat it now won't rev at all while it's running and still sounds as if it's misfiring.

My first thoughts were the TPS so I've removed that, took it apart and given the tracks a good clean internally. Thought I'd try that first before forking out for a replacement! So that is ready to go back on and will be my first job when I'm back home.

Anyone else have any bright ideas that could be causing it?

For my next actions I was considering

-draining/bypassing the filter jobby on the chassis rail (needs doing anyway!!)

-fuel lines

-lift pump

-injection pump

Does that seem a sensible approach?

I would not bypass the sediment catcher, but will open it and clean it. What does not sound right is even when she has been running and stalls she still battles to start, to me it sounds like there is a compression concern or fueling. Does she smoke or anything while driving?

Once she'd started she would run perfectly. No smoke at all. The MOT tester even complimented how well it did on the smoke test for such a rough old workhorse.

Compression crossed my mind and is probably slightly to blame as she's got well over 200,000 miles now but I can't see that causing the operation of the engine to deteriorate in such a short space of time unless something catastropic has happened internally nor can I see it stopping the engine from revving up so my thoughts are still with either EDC electrical gremlins or fuel related.

If it was piston-related loss-of-compression bad enough to cause running problems I'd expect your engine to be blowing oil out of every seal possible.

It could be a valve-clearance closed-up though - so check the rocker-clearances!

Thanks Tanuki that's a nice easy one to check that I hadn't thought of.

@tacr2man I haven't checked the glow plugs. The fact that it's still reluctant to start when the engine is warm in my mind suggests that plugs aren't the root of it? Worth checking and replacing for winter though I suppose..........if the scrap man doesn't have it by then.

Fuel cut off sounds like a good shout. What's the easiest way of going about checking it's opening correctly?

I've seen a few threads about EDC engines being troublesome to start. Some point at the watertemp sensor being faulty, some to the TPS but there isn't really anything in depth that I've found. I think its possible to probe a few things with a multimeter to check values and I'm about to have a sit down with RAVE now to see if I can spot anything.

Thanks Honitonhobbit. All filters and battery are almost new, earths could be a possibility.

I've seen somewhere some figures to check against when testing the EDC sensors etc but can't for the life of me find them again. RAVE turned out to be unhelpful apart from providing the actual wiring diagrams for the components.

As already said, they also need glows unlike the mechanical pumps. IMO if you have to start buying too many parts, Id revert to a mechanical pump.

H