Series3 with 2.5NAD loom and 200tdi engine - Glowplugtimer or not?

henk

So I have a 2.5NAD loom (one with the glass fuses) with an old type ignition switch (with 2 big spades) to be connected to a 200tdi that comes with a glowplug timer

After reading whole morning articles of Les Brock and others I still have some questions:

- Do I need to glow a 200tdi at all?

- If yes, and to keep it simple, can I direcly connect the thick Brown/Red wire from the ignition switch to glowplug1 as a 2.5NAD?

- Or if I want to use the glowplugtimer, can I connect it like this?

1 Battery+ Brown

2 Glowplug1 Yellow/Black

3 White/Red to Brown/Red from ignition switch

4 White to white from ignition switch

5 Yellow/Black do I need this one ???

6 Earth

• Like 1

You can use the 2.5NA glow plug wiring and manually glow as you did with the 2.5NA. It works fine. All that the 200TDI relay gives is automatic time for the glow period based on the temperature. It is better for the engine to be using some glow when you at freezing and lower. It may start without the glow, but it is not great for the engine.

Just wired one into my 200tdi with td5 looms last week.

Your wiring is correct, just follow the pic in Les' link for terminal location. No5 is the glow plug warning light on the dash panel. Not really needed but it does confirm the relay is functioning .

As for connecting the brown/red wire per the NA set up...this was how my 200 was wired when I bought it and it seemed to work ok. My td5 ign barrel switch didn't have the "preheat" stage between ign and starter when turning the key so the timer relay was the best option.

Depending in your wiring ethos, this was the base I got for the tdi timer relay

NEW RELAY FLASHER MULTIPLUG HOLDER SOCKET BASE KIT CARGO 192160 4 5 6 7 8 9 pin

Can't get the link to copy in, but do a search on eBay and you'll find it. It's better than faffing about with spades. Also if your looking for a relay do a Wehrle part number search for 51216003 and you should find one a bit cheaper.

Depending in your wiring ethos, this was the base I got for the tdi timer relay

NEW RELAY FLASHER MULTIPLUG HOLDER SOCKET BASE KIT CARGO 192160 4 5 6 7 8 9 pin

Can't get the link to copy in, but do a search on eBay and you'll find it. It's better than faffing about with spades. Also if your looking for a relay do a Wehrle part number search for 51216003 and you should find one a bit cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RELAY-FLASHER-MULTIPLUG-HOLDER-SOCKET-BASE-KIT-CARGO-192160-4-5-6-7-8-9-pin-/180938219688