v8 conversion, temp gauge?

aniesigh

Hi,

a mate has fitted (well i've fitted into a mates truck) a 3.9 serp V8, all in and running,

just a quick one... the temp gauge in the dash is the original tdi one, it reads a lot higher than it should (i hope!)

Is it just a case of changing the temp gauge for one from a v8? or will the sender change for one from a tdi?

Oh and is the idle adjustable? :unsure:

Cheers

I should have added...its already got a raptor dash full of gauges so no room there for a water temp gauge so needs to be in standard location and ideally a standard looking gauge, changing the sender to a tdi type would suit us best if thats possible, not even looked at where the standard sender is though so not sure if thats even a slight possibility

The TDi sender won't fit the 3.9 V8. The simplest solution is to use a small value variable trimming potentiometer between the sender and the gauge. Because the gauge over reads you can then simply get the engine up to normal temperature and adjust the trimming pot until the gauge is centred. Once done just drop a bit of nail varnish on the trimer pot to seal it into position and prevent it changing due to vibration etc...

I think I would get Andy allisport to make a tube to go in the top hose with a tdi-sender threaded boss in the side.

But I really like the pot solution too :)

I suppose it depends on the level of 'doesn't fit'? I'm less scared of drilling holes in stuff these days :)

I used one of those vdo gauges and sender, vdo gauge fits in dash where original gauge went and sender has a 1/8 npt thread so fits in where the original v8 sender goes on inlet manifold, job done tells you exactly what temp your running at, not like the useless LR stock items

My capilliary gauge fits in the same hole as the standard gauge, and looks pretty good.... and it was only about £35 or so, and its no based on electrics, so even if you look at it with ignition off etc you can still see what the engine temp is..........