Tdi vintage Reverse light wiring

JST

Morning all,

Just after a little help. C reg 90 with autobox and later td5 style bulb one piece holders.

rev light does not work.

i have 11.5v (engine not running) at bulb holder but bulb doesnt light. (std rev light bulb). done the normal - changed bulbs, checked the bulb holder etc (cont through it with bulb fitted)

wiring to the autobox rev selector is all good.

i am assuming the feed although showing nearly 12v cant carry the load.

Where does it pick the 12v feed up from? behind one of the rear light clusters?

What colour is the wiring for the rev light switch (green and green and brown?)

i am assuming the gbox switch just makes a circuit for the 12v feed, with the feed coming from the rear light clusters?

more then likely a bad earth i thought but i have tried it with different earth points/wires to the bulb - still nothing.

if i fit a 9-24V led it will glow 'a tiny bit'!

any help greatly appreciated.

Throw that meter away and use a test lamp. The problem with the meter is that it will read 11.5 volts if only one strand of the wire is connected.

What voltage do you have at the switch ? How good are the connections at the switch ?

The switch is fed by a green wire. Possibly connected to the diff warning light.

As you day green with a brown trace for the wire

If you have a higher voltage at the battery then check all the connections including earths 11.5v is low so unless your battery is knackered you have a connection or brocken wire problem. The fact you have any voltage suggests the switch is working fine iirc 12v goes to the switch then to the lamp.

Mike

If you have a higher voltage at the battery then check all the connections including earths 11.5v is low so unless your battery is knackered you have a connection or brocken wire problem. The fact you have any voltage suggests the switch is working fine iirc 12v goes to the switch then to the lamp.

Mike

the switch is def working, as suggested.

Not sure on voltage at switch - will need to check, connections are all good.

anyone know where the feed comes from prior to the switch?

you would put the multimeter in series with your lighting circuit, on the amperage setting, and it will measure how much its pulling, this will give you an idea of how much can actually get down the wire. ill see if I can find an instructional video :)