Opinions Wanted

Im having probs getting my dash back together.

Seeing as im fitting pre-td5 type dash onto a td5 bulkhead along with td5 wiper wheelboxes, i totally fubar'd the passenger side dash vent handle trying to get it to fit without fouling wiper intermediate tube.

I understand that mikec had exactly the same issue, and ive tried contacting him but he hasnt been online in a month or so.

Im wanting to keep the pre-td5 dash setup as i have a raptor console to fit. Is there a way i can just permanently blank/shut the vent neatly without the use of the handle? Alternatively (preferably) is there a combination of dash plate/vent handle that im unaware of that will allow me to fit older dash?

Thanks in advance.

I think I have the opposite to you - I have a 2003 td5 dash on a 300tdi era bulkhead - I had to in crease the slot inthe td5 vent handle trims downward to accommodate the earlier vent levers. Even now I cannot get full opening

I had this issue with a friends car on which we changed the bulkhead, he used a 2002-on unit and an earlier dash. I seem to remember the 2002-on wiper boxes being upside down compared to the earlier ones and the tube correspondingly being lower - which clashed with the vent handles. If I remember correctly we had to modify the bulkhead to accept the wipers - I think we might have drilled holes in the upper crash pad mounts to allow the pre-2002 wiper rack to pass through them. And we had to use washers to mount the older wiper boxes in the new bulkhead, as the later holes are larger and ovaled somewhat.

I'm not 100% on the above, but do have a 2006 bulkhead in the garage with full dash on so could have a peek if need be to confirm how it is routed in the later setup? I am pretty sure I also have a pre-2002 vent mount plate with handles spare if you need to replace a damaged one? Yours for nowt if it's of any use.

That would be awesome James as ive destroyed one of my handle mechanisms by grinding too much off in a vain attempt to get it to clear wiper tube.

Thats a great idea regarding drilling holes in bulkhead brackets in order to fit wiper tube through. The problem with that in my case is that my wiper motor is fixed via rivnuts to the bulkhead. I would have to somehow reposition the wiper motor upwards an inch or two in order to do this?

I have the late style dash, on an early (old style dash) td5 bulkhead. I used the early wiper mechs/motor and wheel boxes and they clear no problems. I had to fit the appropriate angle brackets to space the vent plate out (I think Les Brock used threaded rod to get his spacing), but the wiper tube ran in the usual location with no clearance issues. My only problem is the motor sits in the speaker aperture rather than behind the grab handle...nowt a space ring won't cure.

Okay, here are some photos.

Pre-2002 setup:

post-10578-0-49404500-1415730092_thumb.jpg

Post-2002 setup:

post-10578-0-36769100-1415729958_thumb.jpg

The actuating arms are different shapes to clear the tube, which is mounted lower on the later model. I'm pretty sure this is why we had to drill the brackets for the tube when we did my friends one, as we mounted the wheelboxes as per the earlier setup.

I have video of both systems operating, but the internet here won't be capable of letting me upload them I'm afraid. Apologies for the rotated pics too.