smoking in the cold

moose

I think i have a dead glow plug (maybe two) as this morning was very cold and the engine was not running on all pot's to start with (fine after a few seconds) :unsure:, is there a way to test them?

as people might start to complain about the morning fog from my drive :D

Forget testing them - just buy some new ones, they are on offer at Paddocks at the minute, only a couple of quid each IIRC

Lewis

Take the wire of the top, then use a 12V test lamp. One side of test lamp to battery positive, then touch the other wire onto the glow plug terminal. If the lamp doesn't light the plug is dead.

Ian

You really need to take them out to test them properly, because sometimes they can fail and still draw current but glow half way down the plug which is useless but looks ok on an electrical test! When applied to a battery, they should quickly glow bright at the tip but not the body of the plug.

If one is dud then change the whole lot is my advice, if one has gone chances are the others won't be far behind

use lots of anti seize on reassembly or you'll have fun getting them out next time

BTW don't break them off in the head cos that is SO much fun :rolleyes:

You really need to take them out to test them properly, because sometimes they can fail and still draw current but glow half way down the plug which is useless but looks ok on an electrical test!

Had one do that in a cab heater. Wondered why it wouldn't light up... :lol:

Cheers,

And don't buy cheap carp, insist on genuine made-in-krautland BERU glow plugs. I fitted cheepo 'County' plugs once. All four lasted less than a year and one sheared off in the head when I tried to remove it. So now I have a 300tdi with 3 glows at the most. Rather like a TD5 which has only 4. As the engine now has 240k kms on it, I can wait until it needs an overhaul and get the engineering shop to remove the broken glow plug.