air suspension over standard

ricckybail

the rr p38 i have just purchased has had the air suspension removed and been fitted with normal shocks and springs.what are peoples views on the fors and againsts of this?will i lose traction easier and quicker because of less axle articulation for instance?

For EAS.

Against retro fitting coil springs onto an otherwise luxury vehicle.

Lot of haters out there who do silly things like using garages with little to no EAS experience, well, more haters out there who knew the best friend of the mother of Pavarotti's sister in-laws best friend who spent a small fortune on the EAS with a garage who replaced a lot of things which never solved the problems and only came away with a bad taste in their mouths and an empty wallet.

EAS is (only in my own humble opinion that is) shrouded in myths that the haters flail in attempt to get you to swap to coils.

Air springs have a life span of around 5yrs, haters say that coils last forever, although coils sag and lose memory, just ask anyone who fitted brand new std height springs on their truck, it does all too often appear that the truck has been lifted, wrong, new springs = correct ride height.

EAS is not exactly complicated if maintained, but it is more complex than coils, ride height sensors fail, compressors wear out, air springs wear or deteriorate with age, valve block seals harden with age and need replacing, if maintained and kept in good health it can be kept reliable.

I love EAS, it gives you a lift for off road or slammed to the bump stops to help your gran get in or out onto the pavement.

The ones I've seen with problems are usually caused by lots of little air leaks that cause the compressors to over work and burn out. The compressor gets replaced and just burns out again so people spit the dummy out and swap to coils as it's easier than trying to fix it. Normally doing a few electrical 'tweeks' on the way.

Air suspension does have the advantage of less jockey wheel winding to hitch a trailer or helps the mother-in-law get in without a step to get to church on a Sunday...

If it's already been converted then I would just leave it as it is, who knows what been hacked or pulled off to convert it. If you really want air suspension then I would run it for a while to make sure the rest of the car is in a good state before throwing time and money at it.

I have bought one P38 for spare with coils and my view was the ride height was artficially high which would result in instability on road. My own P38's have air suspension and I love it even though currently I have a problem. I know my problem is minor and I will get it fixed when I have time and money however I still love it.

I have the full kit which I know works so if you are interest I can provide at a reasonable cost.