Help - Noise ( like a deep rattling ) coming from front of 90???

Hi

I have a rattling type of sound that seems to come from the front of the 90 when i go above 40mph and then either press in the clutch or take my foot of the accelerator.

The 90 has been taken into a landy garage and the usual suspect was the UJs and even one propshaft was changed when a UJ circlip was found not to be fitted correctly and the cost of the yoke was similar to a replacement Propshaft. Unfortunately this still did not cure the problem.

The garage also said there was a slight play in the transfer box flanges and rear differential pinion flange but nothing significant!! They also suggested that the 2" lift on the 90 could be the culprit but this was already done before i bought it and it never happened before.

The only other thing that another friend suggested might have something to do with the two new axles that were fitted complete with ARB diff locks but these have yet to be used in anger as the truck was already laid up when they were fitted. The garage just plumbed the compressor and air lines to the diffs.

Any ideas as to the probable cause of this noise or the best way to isolate things as the garage seems to be stumped or too busy to look further!!

Cheers

Kev

What age? What engine?

I'd first be looking at propshaft UJs and the constant-velocity-joints in the swivel-hubs.

Return the vehicle to standard-spec and see if you still have problems??

My stock 90TD5 can happily go hunting BMWs at 85-90MPH without any transmission- or steering-shudder issues.

• Like 1

Hi Guys

eds what do you mean "mud guards rattling on the diff input bearings" ? where are these guards? appologies if i'm being dense but i've had a long day :-)

Tanuki, the vehicle is about '93 Q Plate, 2" lift, discovery 200tdi transplant and converted to a pickup with open back tub. However, the only changes since the noise started have been new front & rear axles with ARB diff locks, new rear tub, new wings and a new seat box. the 2" lift etc was already in place and the rest has been checked over by the garage prior to its recent MOT. Oh also had a completely new electric loom front to rear.

As stated the UJs have been changed as has one of the prop shafts but still the same when clutching or taking the foot off the accelerator above 40mph

Not really practical to go back to a "standard" vehicle so any other thoughts?

Spookily my 90 has started doing the same ‘sound’, except mine it’s when the engine/gearbox strains a bit when in too higher gear. Drop down to a lower gear and all is well.

Did you get anywhere with your investigations subseauk ? Any info might shorten my fault finding.

• 3 weeks later...

Spookily my 90 has started doing the same ‘sound’, except mine it’s when the engine/gearbox strains a bit when in too higher gear. Drop down to a lower gear and all is well.

Did you get anywhere with your investigations subseauk ? Any info might shorten my fault finding.

Hi Paddy,

Sorry havent had a minute to do any further investigations due to other commitments. I will update as soon as any progress is made. Thanks

Cheeky I know, but hoping to let you do the hard work, then cribbing off you !!
Its cold, wet and miserable here and I just don’t fancy dropping bits off to investigate yet. I can live with mine by driving to avoid it, so I look forward to your update or vice versa if/when the weather picks up.

paddy sounds to me like the exhaust mauy be rattling or an engine/gearbox mount may have collapsed or gone hard. check the engin3 bay and drive train for anything loose. deep vibrations under power can also be knackered uj's and you will feel this through the whole truck not just the steering etc

The truck is a 1991 90 2.5 na, I replaced a seized prop and replaced all UJ’s, all fine a few months ago when re-greased. Exhaust seems fine with no chafing, considering its age the ‘mounts’ could be the place to start, thanks. I’m a softie, so I will be waiting for the weather to pick up before I start dropping props off, heaving on things for looseness etc.

Just as an aside..............I stayed in Texas for a spell and once my neighbours complained of something rattling under the bonnet. Took a look and found a large rattlesnake curled up in the engine bay where it had been attracted by the warmth the previous evening!

Just as an aside..............I stayed in Texas for a spell and once my neighbours complained of something rattling under the bonnet. Took a look and found a large rattlesnake curled up in the engine bay where it had been attracted by the warmth the previous evening!

Thanks to Patrick it won’t be a problem here, ;)