Improving turning circle

smo

Firstly are the steering-stops set up correctly, if not you may have lost lock for no reason?

What wheels do you have fitted? Word has it that Boost alloys restrict the lock and there is little you can do without fitting spacers (ummmmmmmm). I am about to fit Boost's to my 90 but I personally would not fit spacers even if I have to adjust the steering-stops and loose lock.

Currently i have factory fitted boosts, wiht 265/75 BFG muds. I'll check the stops, but its more of a general thing, cos all defenders need a football pitch to turn in my experience and i was wondering why.

Simple engineering, the wheels can only turn so far before they foul the radius arms.

The track needs to be increased to get more steering angle on the wheels, although eventually you end up being restricted by the CV's angle.

Have a look at a Y61/GU Patrol, the radius arms are positioned almost (within a few mm) of a Landy, yet they have a far better turning circle as they have a much wider track.

Currently i have factory fitted boosts, wiht 265/75 BFG muds. I'll check the stops, but its more of a general thing, cos all defenders need a football pitch to turn in my experience and i was wondering why.

Not exactly true.

My 90 is also fitted with 265/75's but mounted on modulars and the turning circle is excelent, in fact it is practically identical to my wife's MGF and I can turn both vehicles in a single operation at the end of our cul de sac.

If your stops are adjusted correctly, the way I see it is that your only option is to fit spacers. They will solve the problem completely but would you want to fit them and will your insurance company let you?

I'm not fussed about spacers, if theyre good then its not a problem, only the cheapies are bad news.

I'll have to have a look into it more, however with the vehicle up for sale i might just wait til i buy/build her replacement :)

My TD5 90 has 265/75-16 BFG Muds on Freestyle alloys and the turning circle of the QE2!

The stops are properly adjusted. My only options to improve matters would be spacers or offset wheels but I will stick with it as it is because to me, having the wheels bearings in the right place to minimise wear is more important.

Hense my post regarding spacers.only want a pair,any one wanna go halfs on a set?

Give John at Kenson 4x4 a ring, sure he would sell you a set of 2.... they make them for quite a few suppliers!!

Tel: 0121 505 3668

This is where my steel 'hub centric' wheels spacers came from, very high quality and being the hub centric type (they do both) means my alloys are correctly located without wheel shaking problems - unlike with the plain flat type I ran for a while.... (also, personnaly I would stay away from the alloy type...)

Ian

Out of interest (and the fact my tyres touch the radius arms on full lock), how do you set the steering stops?

I don't have the Landy with me but from memory, can't remember seeing anything that looked like it would adjust the steering stops

There's a bolt in each swivel housing that you adjust. screw out to give less lock, in to add.

to improve turning circle the best thing to do is sell the alloys and put on a set of wheels with more off-set. Better solution than using alloys and and spacers.

Cheers

Steve

There's a bolt in each swivel housing that you adjust. screw out to give less lock, in to add.

to improve turning circle the best thing to do is sell the alloys and put on a set of wheels with more off-set. Better solution than using alloys and and spacers.

Cheers

Steve

Best way of de-valuing a vehicle supplied with genuine boosts from the factory (like mine) is to remove them though.

On some models, the lock stop bolts are not adjustable. They have a fixed collar as part of the bolt, so cannot be screwed in any further. However, this type can be substituted for conventional bolts and nuts(to act as locknuts) which can be adjusted in or out as required.

Regards,

Diff