Milling coolant

bishbosh

So where do I get coolant from for my mill? And what sort do I need? Plenty of options on ebay but I have no idea regarding suitability or even if the prices are good.

I cut mostly aluminium but also steel.

Looking to make use of my flood coolant system on the mill rather than standing guard with a can of WD40! (Yes I know, not the right fluid but it is abundant in my mancave. :P)

Thanks.

We use Supercut soluble oil from Morris lubricants for our CNC mills and lathes on steel and aluminium. MSC/J&L sell it at quite favorable prices although we buy 25 litre drums

http://www.mscdirect.co.uk/MLU-10002J/SEARCH:KEYWORD/product.html

The gear cutting machines use Neat Cut oil which must be a similar viscosity to hydraulic oil but you'd want to be draining it out of your swarf as it is quite expensive to waste

We use Castol Hysol Excel at work in the lathe/mills.

I'd use the coolant flood if you can, main advantage on a CNC is it means you can just leave it to it rather than having to go back and squirt it all the time.

Thats what we used at the last place I worked. As long as you keep the oil content right, the coolant wont go off for a very long time.

However, best thing to use on Aluminium is Paraffin.

And on the mill with carbide tools, if your going to get a tool wet, drown it dont just let a trickle on it, you'll do more harm than good.

Another vote for Supercut.

Oil or Parafin work great but I'd rather have the floor covered (as innevitably happens) with water based coolant than neat oil! The oil seems to degrade pretty fast on a concrete floor and doesn't leave it slippery for very long. Also, you can clean the coolant off the parts by running them under a tap - not so easy with oil.

I also have a bottle of RTD on hand for deep drilling & tapping in uncooperative materials. It's expensive - but good value as you barely have to use a drip.

Si