Bucket seats

"bucket seats" can cover everything from the £89.99 plastic cheapies sold to the Vauxhall Corsa flyboys in Halfords, to £6500 electrically-wiggly and heated orthopaedic all-from-the-same-cow-leather/suede-with-20-position-memories Recaro end of the market.

Do you have a fixed bulkhead? How long are your legs? Will you be needing to pass any kind of scrutineering? Can you source E-marked or OEM mounting-frames/runners/fitting-kits for your proposed bucket-seats to fit them to the seat-boxes?

So many questions, so little time.

Ive sat in a few different bucket seats in defenders. Yes they are comfy once your in them but therein lies the rub, if you'll pardon the pun...

They are a pita to get in and out of. Unless you spend money and get defender-specific ones that have low base sides.

You pays yer money etc... Personally i wouldnt bother unless you have the budget to get defender-specific ones OR you are lucky enough to find some from a car that have low base sides.

^^^

Yep,

I have Cobra "Monaco Pro" seats in my 110.

As Phil says they are comfortable once your in there & they do stop you sliding around the cab but getting in & out can be fun, especially when you have 35" tyres & a suspension lift.

The Mrs can't get in mine.

It's great.

Brother had them for a while, maybe still does...the wife's hips didn't fit tin them, so she was never comfortable, and I found them to always be banging my elbows or getting in my eyeline when at junctions. With the harness belts in too I couldn't reach the handbrake. I'd never have them in a vehicle of mine

My buggy is RRC made to look like an S1. To get in I put my right foot against the bulkhead edge where it meets the floor, grab the windscreen pillar and swing in. I effectively drop into the bucket. The seat sides stop you climbing in normally.

If you are sliding up and down the cab off road to the point control is an issue, then Cobra Monaco style bucket seats are great, but I wouldn't want a set in my van :)

I see two problems in a truck cab, firstly buckets are generaly sloped back and base seats whereas a truck cab is mostly vertical ish, this means space issues but worse once stapped in (even loose) you can't easily reach switches and controls.

Second is the real pain in the legs as you try to squeeze them between the seat side and small stearing wheel you will have to buy to be able to fit in! In order to make seats sturdy cheap ones have a steel tube in the side more expensive ones will still be hard edged for support!

These seats are fine in a racer with more leg room, you might be better looking at the classic AC Cobra (car not seat maker) type bucket seat which is low backed and no sides?

Marc