using 12v compressor to help v8 wading, does it work?

bobtailrangie

using 12v compressor to help v8 wading, does it work?

Hi all

this is only as a temporary measure till i get megasquirt + as it will cost me nothing its worth a go

Im sure some of you have read on the net in places that people have used small 12v compressors connected to the distributor via a fitting drilled + sealed to the dizzy cap, siliconed the cap down + switching on before going into water + it working providing it wasnt windscreen deep for a length of time

working on the basis that its keeping the dizzy pressurised to the water cant get in due to the air pressure, makes sense

I tried + wasnt dissapointed however not satisfied either, i switched on before going in, got stuck in deep ruts + water was just in line with tops of the sills but obviously as it dropped into the hole water went up under bonnet

It still ran ok + revved ok providing i didnt rev it hard, after 5 mins with it running while i was winching myself out it was fine again

so not a total failure but id like it better

Has anyone had any actual success using the 12v compressor method or knows any tricks?

Like i say its just to get me by till end of march when ill be running megasquirt

cheers

james

Hi,

Personal experience in water without compressor was no worse than you describe so I am yet to be convinced. The issue is the leads not the dizzy internals as far as I am aware? Using Ford EDIS with MS or MJ (which I now have fitted) allows the use of sealed leads and low tenssion ignition with high quality sparks.

Twenty years ago my motor had points dizzy and silicon sealed leads and ran fine in water even when stuck.

What air pressue may do is reduce condensation inside he dizzy cap I guess?

Marc

In some situations it could help, dizzy caps suffer condensation which might be dried out slightly by an external supply of dry air, and in theory a bit of positive pressure will encourage water to stay out, but you'd probably need to create at least a PSI or three in the dizzy cap constantly to see much effect (telecomms cables are pumped up to 9psi to keep water out of any holes). Some people used to do that sort of thing (esp, comp safari racers) but if it was a real fix everyone would've done it long ago and never had a problem with water ever again