Disco One wheel nuts

discofred

My 1995 Disco one came without a wheel brace. So I ordered a 27mm one online.

It came, but won't go over the nuts. I contacted the supplier he said that the rust gets behind the affixed shiny cover, and makes it swell up, so that the 27mm brace won't fit.

I have a 28mm socket which is a loose but acceptable fit.

Anyone heard of this before, or is the supplier talking tosh ?

I have a bunch of steel wheel nuts that fit perfectly in my variety of 27mm sockets and wrenches. Yet, I also have a set of alloy wheel nuts where more than half bind and get slightly (not impossibly) jammed. I just put it down to cheap after-market wheel nuts. No grounds to prove whether they're genuine or not, other than some fit well and some don't.

I have a bunch of steel wheel nuts that fit perfectly in my variety of 27mm sockets and wrenches. Yet, I also have a set of alloy wheel nuts where more than half bind and get slightly (not impossibly) jammed. I just put it down to cheap after-market wheel nuts. No grounds to prove whether they're genuine or not, other than some fit well and some don't.

Genuine ones do it. If you use a socket the is too short and more so if you slip or have one of those only partly bent breaker bars (not 90 degree), then it's easy to deform the nut.

Rover/MG cars suffer the same problem. Brute force and ignorance is the best way to get them off and I'd advise swapping them.

Use a deep impact socket as the best way to avoid it happening again.