Indicator stalk plastic clamp snapped - how to fix?

Hi folks.

The plastic retaining ring on my Defender indicator stalk has snapped where it meets the main body of the switch unit (it's an open sided semi-circle with a screw through the open end to clamp on to the steering column). I have tried Tiger Seal and then JB Weld with a steel strip around the outer circumference, but neither seems to stick well tot he plastic (degreased before glueing). I was thinking of trying the same again, but with a small screw through each end of the strip into the plastic... Any other ideas? The joint is under tension when the screw is tightened.

I've just had the same problem. Complete pig of a thing and repairs were useless so I left it and thought I could live with it, but it started to move about and the wiring for the headlights/sidelights started to go off of their own accord (usually in the dark of course!) as their wiring got faffed about by the movement. Replacing it took less than an hour and was well worth doing.

Replacing it would have been simple except that it's in a SIII and the wiring needed splicing with the plug from the old stalk to connect tot he vehicle loom. The spare Defender type I have is older and has deteriorated a little - slightly sticky in each axis and the flash didn't work. It's locating lug is also missing, but the clamp is fine. I have swapped everything across and got the flash working, which then started to stick on (got that sorted too) - I just need to test the horn during the day time tomorrow (too anti social to be done now). I'd like to fix the newer one with the broken clamp, though - it's generally in perfect condition, just the one fault, but seeing that new switches can be bought for under £15, maybe I'm wasting my time.