where is the ratio on a trans case

Diesel_90

Im about to chamge my trans case on my 90 to a 1.4 because apparantly i have a 1.6 on at the moment and its far to low. where does it say on the case the ratio?

lying on my back ive looked to the left of the drum, under the blaking plate for a over drive and i cant see anything :(

Im about to chamge my trans case on my 90 to a 1.4 because apparantly i have a 1.6 on at the moment and its far to low. where does it say on the case the ratio?

lying on my back ive looked to the left of the drum, under the blaking plate for a over drive and i cant see anything :(

normally 90's have a 1.44:1 ratio 110's a 1.41:1 and discos/rangeys 1.22:1 200tdi onwards its on a sticker on the lower edge of the rear face of the transfer box just to the left of the drum looking fowards i have a feeling they may have put a 1.6:1 in either turbo diesels and or series but i'm not sure on that :ph34r: failing that if you put it in 4th gear high range (this should be 1:1) with the ignition off and roll it forwards you can see how many times the crank goes round

hope this helps mike :)

If memory serves they are in one of 2 places.

Either to the left of the handbrake (where you hacve looked now ?, or (and worse) Top lHS of the casing, which means torch and mirro and rag petrolly soaked having had a wipe in vain / hope / again to have a lookie.

Bet I know which one yours in going to be.

I think earlier ones are on top, later at the bottom / handbrake ?

Happy grumbling looking

Nige

Guest diesel_jim

As Miketomcat says, there should be a yellow sticker stating "4wd 1.?:1 ratio" depending on what flavour yours is.

some of the early utility 2.5 N/A diesels had the 1.6 fitted.

Go here to the ever informative Ashcrofts site to see the ratio comparisons between various transfer boxes,

And here to see what ratio box you have, IF you can find the suffix number stamped on it somewhere!

I could have shown you last week ;) But remember I want the 1.6 :D

Paul

Assuming revving flat out is 4000rpm (not unreasonable for a diesel)

1.6 on std diffs & 35’s will theoretically give 95.34mph @4000 rpm……….. but there is no way a standard 300tdi would be able to pull gearing that tall.

If the diffs have been changed, then,

1.6 on 4.1 diffs & 35’s will theoretically give 82.32mph @4000 rpm

1.6 on 4.7 diffs & 35’s will theoretically give 71.81mph @4000 rpm

The only other option is that your clutch may be slipping

Ian