Letter from a garage

I've fitted one of the Exmoor trim lock and fold seats in the back of my 90 - and my insurers want me to get it inspected and a letter from a garage.

I guess they will look and say if it's been fitted in accordance with the fitting instructions, but my question is : anyone have any idea of how much it might cost to get one ?

My concern is they might think writing a letter would make them liable in someway - thus my thoughts that they just confirm its in accord with the manufacturers instructions.

I did a similar thing - fitting Puma seats to my Td5 90. The woman on the phone didn't really seem to understand. (Adrian Flux - surprising). She just kept repeating that I had effectively" removed two seats". Anyway, that's in my policy now. But before that conversation. I had binged (sorry) "Engineer's report", and they seem to be around £300 to £500. There seem to be plenty of such places around the country. I guess they do vehicle modifications, repairs and kit car type stuff all the time, so know what wording will satisfy insurance companies.

I agree with Pete.

When I needed an engineer's report on my fitment of a V8 to my series 2, it really was a question of confirming that the work had been done to a suitable standard. I think they charged me an hour's to look over the truck and write a letter.

With the seats, it would be a question of ensuring that suitable spreader plates and anchoring methods have been used. If there is a concern regarding the wording, I'd aim to include something along the lines of "has been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations", and also mention that the seats are designed specifically for fitment to your vehicle.

Surely this comes close to MOT type work... as vehicle has to be fit to pass an MOT i.e. anchor points of seat belts etc... I'd go ask your local friendly garage to have a look and write a headed letter for you...