Radio

My 1990 Pickup cab only has the 1990 factorty fitted radio in it...no aerial, and only a built in speaker.

I'm either lookng at one of these http://www.mobilestoragesystems.fsnet.co.uk/store-caddy.htm

Which would make sense as I'm after a locking cubby box anyway. The other option (Which would presumably be easier to wire) is http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Dashconsole.html

Which has the added advantage of blanked plates for switches (if and when I start putting extras in!)

TWO QUSTIONS REALLY:

Is the wiring that provides power to the current radio going to be enough to be enough to power a modern day radio/cd?

Where on earth would you put speakers in a truck cab? I have 2 6x9s from a previous car which I'd like to use if possible.

Welcome :D

I'm sure the existing supply will be adequate and the consoles seem very popular (do a quick search or look in the Int forum for members comments/pics)

Re speakers I think factory fit is under the dash either side and someone can probably provide part numbers or you could cut our your existing dash and fit. Another option is stick them in the door panels.

I should add I have no radio in my 90 so this may not be the most qualified replay you'll get ;)

I bought the fully loaded version of the centre console from Mobile Storage Systems with all the whistles and bells and it's really very smart and sooooo much better (but mooooooore expensive) than the standard effort.

How much was it? There are no prices on the site and they've not replied to my e-mail yet!

bought the fully loaded version of the centre console from Mobile Storage Systems with all the whistles and bells and it's really very smart and sooooo much better (but mooooooore expensive) than the standard effort.

If the cd player is mounted vertically in cubby box, does it still play the cds ? The reason I ask is because both of the cd players I've had in my landy both said in the instructions that the unit should be mounted within a certain degrees (30 IIRC) from horizontal.

Just a thought.

Mo

Guest diesel_jim

I've seen a few CD players now where there is a small "screwdriver slot" type thing on the side of the case, which you rotate depending on if you're mounting it horizontally or vertically.

The cubby box cost about £200 + VAT as I recall but unfortuately the receipt is at the accountants at present so cannot confirm.

I have a fairly basic model JVC CD player from Half-wits and it plays pefectly well. Althogh the cubby box is expensive it is a very well-made and sturdy piece of kit and the arm rest is nice and thick and very comfy indeed. The fully loaded model comes with twin cup holders and insulated cups, trinket tray, cargo nets on both sides and twin auxiliary ciggy lighter sockets on the rear.

I found the mounting instructions a bit lacking in detail (a comment which I passed on to the company) but in the end I threw them away and went with common sense!. There is large bracket which bolts across the underside of the centre seat box plate to prevent the whole box being wrenched out with the base plate. This has a tendency to rattle where it touches the metal flanges of the seat box but easy to resolve with bits of rubber packing and tape!