ABS... ...

Hi Guys,

My 110 Td5, 1998... has an ABS fault.. No surprise there I hear you say...!!

On start up both ABS & TC lights illuminate, after a few seconds the TC light goes out, on the move after 5 odd mph the ABS light goes out. Hooray, thats exactly as it should be...!!

Can drive around at low speed, then run it up to 75 mph both lights stay out.. Wait for it....?! UNTIL... I touch the brakes, the very first time I brake they pop up... D'oh!

After having the codes read countless times, it always pointed to the front right sensor..

Work carried out so far...

1. Check resistance of front sensor. OK.

2. Renew front right sensor.

3. Run new front right sensor wiring back to ABS ECU.

4. Change ABS ECU.

5. Rebuild front right hub.

6. Install new rear sensors.

7. Make a bracket to hold front sensor in place.

8. Run modulator internal wiring to external.

9. Adjust rear wheel bearings as slight play was picked up by MOT.

My gut feeling it something is throw the sensors out of place but if I turn off the ignition, and back on against resets it's self until I touch the brakes.

My ever so helpful Landie garage suggests removing the modulator as there are places it can get gummed up, which he knows from experience..

As you may well know and thank you for bothering to read this far, this is a pig of a job and one that has been done before to install a second hand modular a few years back so I feel since I have renewed the brake fluid quite a few times over the past few years I think I am clutching at straws & I have run out of options..

any bright ideas other than removing the whole system...??

Thanks in advance.

Dave..

Are your reluctor rings properly seated and rust free? At 75mph they will be moving awfully quickly and the smallest discrepancy could be enough to trigger the ABS...

You can get the same effect if you have got mud and crud in there as this will affect the sensor seating or, bizarrely, if you've given the sensor a good blast with the jet wash, this'll also mess them up...

My money is on the reluctor ring(s) not being properly located (or crappy)...

Good luck!

Thanks for your replies Guys, I'll check the reluctor rings..

One note though, they light back up at ANY speed not just 75mph, they are triggered by the first use of the brakes after start up.. Turn the ignition off & back on again, (even whilst on the move!) and they go out, touch the brakes and back on they come..

Cheers,

db.

I'm not suggesting you do this....... but for a slight touch of the brakes on a private road....... could you swap the left front to right front sensor input to the ecu ad see if the fault code goes with the swap. This would the rule out the ecu if it does or leave the fault at the right front wheel area.

Thanks for your replies Guys, I'll check the reluctor rings..

One note though, they light back up at ANY speed not just 75mph, they are triggered by the first use of the brakes after start up.. Turn the ignition off & back on again, (even whilst on the move!) and they go out, touch the brakes and back on they come..

Cheers,

db.

That's what I gathered from your first post, and exactly why I suggested the brake switch. Check it out.

No time to get my hands dirty to check it today, but I did drive it around for a while and it's changed to the TC light doesn't go out on start up now but after 5mph..along with the ABS and both come on but now not after first touch of the brakes, just random now..?

It only sat on the drive over night... !!

Just the lights coming on Lifted Disco, ABS stops working, works when the lights are out.. and I did give it a good pressure wash a while back too....

I'll have a play over the weekend..

db..